World Series of Fighting puts on their ninth event this evening with “WSOF 9: Carl vs. Palhares” from the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. Headlining the event is a welterweight title bout between reigning champ Steve Carl and dangerous challenger Rousimar Palhares. In the co-headliner, Marlon Moraes and Josh Rettinghouse battle it out for the inaugural bantamweight title.
The main card action kicks off at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT on NBC Sports Network. ProMMAnow.com will provide live quick results of tonight’s action.
WSOF 9 results:
- Jimmy Spicuzza def. Gil Guardado via submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 1 (3:14)
- Danny Davis Jr. def. Phil Dace via unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- Brenson Hansen def. Boostayre Nefarios via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27 x 2)
- Chris Gruetzemacher def. John Gunderson via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27 x 2)
- Bryson Hansen def. Sean Cantor via TKO (strikes) Rd 1 (0:46)
- Mike Corey def. Shane Kruchten via submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 2 (2:59)
- Johnny Nunez def. Ozzy Dugulubgov via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Josh Burkman def. Tyler Stinson via knockout (strikes) Rd 1 (2:15)
- Yushin Okami def. Svetlozar Savov via submission (Arm Triangle Choke) Rd 2 (4:46)
- Marlon Moraes def. Josh Rettinghouse via unanimous decision (50-44 x 3) – for bantamweight title
- Rousimar Palhares def. Steve Carl via submission (Heel Hook) Rd 1 (1:09) – for welterweight title
Thoughts: So it took Palhares just over a minute to rip another guy’s leg apart and send them into surgery. Seems a lot of people on Twitter thinks he held the submission too long again after the tap. From what I could tell he let go as soon as he recognized the ref was telling him to stop. You can’t let go just because someone taps, you have to wait for the ref. I really didn’t have a problem with the stoppage, but Steve Carl does — a fucked up knee problem. This Palhares is one dangerous dude. Who’s going to want to fight this guy? He tears up knees like Roy Nelson tears up a plate of Hooters hot wings. Good day.