Steve Carl entered his World Series of Fighting 6 title fight as an underdog but left as the promotion’s first champion as he defeated Josh Burkman in the fourth round of a scheduled five round affair in Coral Gables.
Burkman was impressive in the first round. The welterweights exchanged blows on the feet before Burkman slammed Carl to the ground. Carl got back up but Burkman pushed the pace and worked from top position. To start the second stanza both men were content on the feet before the tides began to shift Carl’s way. Carl scored a big takedown and landed shots to Burkman.
The third round was back and forth as Carl locked in a rear naked choke. It looked tight but Burkman was able to free himself. Burkman was able to get a guillotine and it too looked tight but Carl was able to break the grip and escape. As the fourth round started Carl was working from his back and laced a night triangle choke that put Burkman to sleep.
Marlon Moraes came out blazing in the co-main event. Moraes landed a huge left hook that put Carson Beebe out. Moraes remains undefeated under the WSOF banner and looks primed for a title opportunity in the near future.
Jon Fitch pulled off a split decision win as he out grinded Marcelo Alfaya in other main card action. Fitch got back in the win column but still looks to be a fight or two removed from a title shot. Justin Gaethje put away Dan Lauzon to remain undefeated rounding out the NBC Sports broadcast.
Here are your full results on the evening
- Steve Carl def. Josh Burkman via Technical Submission (Triangle Choke) – Round 4, 1:02
- Marlon Moraes def. Carson Beebe via TKO (Strikes) – Round 1, 0:32
- Jon Fitch def. Marcelo Alfaya via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Justin Gaethje def. Dan Lauzon via TKO (Strikes) – Round 2, 1:40
- Pablo Alfonso def. Miguel Torres via Submission (Guillotine Choke) – Round 1, 3:05
- Luiz Firmino def. Jacob Volkmann via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Chad Robichaux def. Andrew Yates via Technical Submission (North-South choke) – Round 2, 4:09
- Josh Rettinghouse def. Alexis Vila via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Nick LoBosco def. Fabio Mello via Knockout – Round 1, 2:02
- Alexandre Pimentel def. Jade Porter via Submission (Triangle Choke) – Round 1, 2:02