Team Sonnen takes 3-1 lead with win by youngest man in TUF™history
Series continues next Tuesday on FX at 9 p.m. ET/PT
Las Vegas, Nevada –The Ultimate Fighter® returned on FX with the fifth episode of the season – “The Reflection of Perfection”. The youngest man in TUF™ history, twenty-one-year-old Kelvin Gastellum made quite a debut on Tuesday night submitting Mixed Martial Arts veteran (Robert) Bubba McDaniel, 20-6 in MMA, in the second round.
In seemingly the best fight of the season so far, according to coach Chael Sonnen, Gastellum sunk in arear naked choke at 2:38 of the second to secure his win over coach Jon Jones’ Albuquerque teammate.
Results after episode five:
Team Sonnen – coached by UFC® light heavyweight Chael Sonnen – (3-1)
- Luke Barnatt (1-0, TKO win over Gilbert Smith in episode 2)
- Uriah Hall (1-0, KOd Adam Cella in episode 3)
- Zak Cummings
- Tor Troeng
- Jimmy Quinlan
- Kevin Casey (0-1, lost a UD to Collin Hart in episode 4)
- Kelvin Gastelum (1-0, submitted Bubba McDaniel in episode 5)
Team Jones – coached by UFC® light heavyweight champion Jon Jones – (1-3)
- Clint Hester
- Josh Samman
- Bubba McDaniel (0-1, submitted by Kelvin Gastelum in episode 5)
- Gilbert Smith (0-1, TKOd by Luke Barnatt in episode 2)
- Collin Hart (1-0, defeated Kevin Casey by UD in episode 4)
- Adam Cella (0-1, KOd by Uriah Hall in episode 3)
- Dylan Andrews
With the win, Team Sonnen regains control of the fight pick, matching-up Josh Samman versus Tor Troeng of Team Jones.
The series resumes next Tuesday, February 26, on FX at 9 p.m. ET/PT (check local listings for Central and Mountain Time). In that episode – “Path to Greatness” – A fighter’s attitude ignites a blowup at the house, causing a major rift in Team Sonnen. While the fighters battle it out in a night of bowling, Jon and Chael raise the stakes in a game of their own. Then Samman and Troeng meet in the Octagon® for the sixth preliminary fight.