Eddie Alvarez, the inaugural and two-time Bellator lightweight champ, and now a champion in every organization he ever fought in, defeated UFC 155-pound titleholder Rafael dos Anjos Thursday night to claim the throne as the best lightweight MMA fighter on the planet.
The two headlined UFC Fight Night 90 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The entire card streamed live on Fight Pass and saw “The Black Beast” Derrick Lewis pick up his biggest win to date with a split decision over “Big Country” Roy Nelson in the co-headliner.
The 32-year-old Alvarez (aka “The Underground King”) has only had four fights inside the Octagon, now winning his last three after dropping his Octagon debut to Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in Sept. 2014. With guys like Khabib Nurmagomedov, Nate Diaz, Tony Ferguson, Edson Barboza, and of course Cerrone, sitting on the ladder right below Alvarez, it will be interesting to see if he can hold the belt longer than RDA, who only had one defense under his belt when Alvarez snatched his gold. Interestingly enough, RDA’s lone title defense was against Cerrone, who as mentioned above, holds a win over Alvarez.
Alvarez’s post-fight interview along with highlights of his stoppage win over RDA are in the video below. Post-fight press conference video is at bottom.
Full UFC Fight Night 90 results:
Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)
- For UFC Lightweight Title: Eddie Alvarez def. Rafael dos Anjos (c) via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:49
- Heavyweight: Derrick Lewis def. Roy Nelson via Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Welterweight: Alan Jouban def. Belal Muhammad via Decision (unanimous) (28-27, 29-28, 29-27)
- Lightweight: Joseph Duffy def. Mitch Clarke via Submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 0:25
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
- Welterweight: Alberto Mina def. Mike Pyle via KO (flying knee and punches) – Round 2, 1:17
- Lightweight: John Makdessi def. Mehdi Baghdad via Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight: Anthony Birchak def. Dileno Lopes via Decision (split) (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight: Pedro Munhoz def. Russell Doane via Submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:08
- Bantamweight: Felipe Arantes def. Jerrod Sanders via Submission (armbar) – Round 2, 1:39
- Lightweight: Gilbert Burns def. Łukasz Sajewski via Submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:57
- Bantamweight: Marco Beltrán def. Reginaldo Vieira via Submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:04
- Welterweight: Vicente Luque def. Alvaro Herrera via Submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 2, 3:52
Derrick Lewis post-fight interview.