After all of the fallout from the cancellation of UFC 151, Jon Jones again proved that he is one of the most dominating UFC champions of all time. After decimating Vitor Belfort with elbows for much of the fight, Jones locked up a fight-ending americana to retain his title 54 seconds into the fourth round.

Jones came out on all fours to start the fight and nearly got his head taken off as Belfort went for a head kick. Jones wasted little time taking the fight to the mat and almost paid for it. Belfort locked up an arm and came close to finishing the fight with a very tight armbar as the champion frantically tried to free his arm. Jones finally was able to rip his arm free before going to work with elbows. The elbows opened up a gash on Belfort’s face, and as the bell sounded, a bloody and battered Belfort headed to his corner.

The champion opened up his toolbox to start the second, landing a wide variety of kicks from angles that left Belfort standing stationary as he hesitated to fire back. Belfort managed to land a couple of power shots, but after pulling guard during a clinch, Jones again began dropping elbows to seize control of the fight.

The third round started with the champion landing a big side kick to the body that staggered Belfort. Jones followed him to the mat and resumed dropping brutal elbows. The rest of the round looked much like the second with Belfort pulling guard and giving up more position, while absorbing even more damage.

Belfort came out swinging in the fourth and landed his best shots of the fight in the pocket. The champion responded with a knee up the middle followed by a takedown. Jones landed in side control and immediately went to work on the far arm of the champion. As Jones cranked on the americana attempt, Belfort tapped, ending the fight at 54 seconds of the round.

The win moves Jones to 17-1 (11-1 UFC) and marks his fourth-consecutive successful title defense.

One thought on “UFC 152 recap: Jon Jones survives scare, submits Vitor Belfort”

Leave a Reply