Former UFC welterweight contender Rory MacDonald made his Bellator debut today in England. The 27-year-old Canadian faced-off with knockout specialist Paul “Semtex” Daley in the Bellator 179 main event from SSE Arena in London. MacDonald took the fight to where he had the biggest advantage, on the ground. He took Daley down, worked the ground and pound, and controlled from top to take the first round. And in round 2, MacDonald put Daley on the ground once again, took his back and got the rear-naked choke finish at the 1:45 mark. Cheick Kongo and Linton Vassell also picked up wins, as well as “Baby Slice”.
The main card will air via tape delay Friday night on Spike at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT.
Full Bellator 179 results include:
- Rory MacDonald def. Paul Daley via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1:45
- Linton Vassell def. Liam McGeary via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 2:28
- Cheick Kongo def. Augusto Sakai via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alex Lohore def. Dan Edwards via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:56
- Kevin Ferguson Jr. def. D.J. Griffin via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:40
- Alfie Davis vs. Jay Dods
- Stav Economou def. Dan Konecke via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:05
- Amir Albazi def. Jamie Powell via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-26)
- Nathan Jones def. Umer Kayani via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1
- Fabian Edwards def. Rafal Cejrowski knockout (flying knee) – Round 1
- Jeremy Petley def. Chase Morton via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)
- Mike Shipman def. Marcin Prostko via TKO (knees) – Round 1, 2:39
- Salih Kulucan def. Diego Barbosa via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 2:18