LAS VEGAS — Superior Cage Combat 3 (SCC 3) took place Friday night, Nov. 4, at the Orleans Arena inside the Orleans Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
In the night’s main event Xtreme Couture’s John “The Natural” Alessio (33-14) made a successful move to lightweight taking home a unanimous decision victory over Pride veteran Luiz “Buscape” Firmino (13-6).
Firmino, a BJJ black belt, was able to get Alessio to the ground on repeated occasion but was unable to capitalize, while Alessio displayed the better stand-up game. All three judges scored the bout 29-28 for “The Natural”.
In the night’s co-main event, Seattle’s Bristol Marunde (15-6) hung tough after getting rocked in the final round to earn a unanimous decision (49-46, 48-47, 48-47) win over Reign MMA’s Jay Silva (7-5) and take home the SCC Middleweight Title.
Also on the card, Reign MMA’s Emanuel Newton (17-6-1) earned his fifth straight victory and fourth win of the year by tapping out TUF 10 veteran James McSweeney (6-9) with a rear-naked choke at 4:25 of the first round.
The full SCC 3 fight card results are as follows:
SCC 3 Results
- John Alessio def. Luiz Firmino by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- (SCC 185 lb. Title) Bristol Marunde def. Jay Silva by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)
- Emanuel Newton def. James McSweeney by submission (rear-naked choke) Rd 1 (4:25)
- Steve Lopez vs. Dominique Robinson ends in majority draw
- Porfirio Alves Jr def. Alonzo Martinez by unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,30-27)
- Shane Nelson def. Lance Wipf by TKO (doctor stoppage – knee injury) Rd 2 (2:15)
- Phil Dace def. Dave Terrel by unanimous decision (29-27,29-27,29-27)
- Cameron Diffley def. Sidney Silva by submission (arm bar) Rd 1 (4:01)
- Shawn Fitzsimmons def. Blas Avena by KO (strikes) Rd 2 (3:42)
- Shorty Weikel def. Kui Gonsalves by submission (rear-naked choke) Rd 2 (2:30)
Superior Cage Combat awarded new SCC Middleweight Champion Bristol Marunde and his opponent Jay Silva “Fight of The Night” honors and Cameron Diffley was awarded “Submission of The Night” for his first round armbar win over Sidney Silva.
The date of SCC 4 was announced for January 20, 2012, at the Orleans Arena. Fight fans can follow Superior Cage Combat on Twitter at @SuperiorCCombat.