NASHVILLE, Tenn. – ProMMAnow.com (www.prommanow.com) has confirmed the official non-televised preliminary card for “Strikeforce Challengers 13” being held Jan. 7 at Municipal Auditorium in Nashville and headlined by Tyron Woodley vs. Tarec Saffiedine.
An opponent for UFC veteran John Salter should be announced within the next few days as well as at least one new main card fight. Salter was moved to the prelims after his original opponent, Yancy Medeiros had to pull out.
Fighter names to remember off this preliminary card include Dustin Ortiz, a Nashville MMA product and one of the top 125-pounders in the country, still undefeated at 6-0 and has fought some stiff competition. Ortiz was on the card during Strikeforce’s first visit to Nashville back in April and won a first round rear-naked choke submission over Justin Pennington.
Also, Thomas Campbell is a name to remember. He was ProMMAnow.com’s Amateur Fighter of the Year for 2009 and was also on the previous Strikeforce Nashville card in April. He fights out of Team Wildside in Clarksville, Tenn.
Chris Camacho is a very athletic fighter with big knockout power. He is a former football player and a very talented up-and-comer out of Nashville MMA. Steven Durr and Cory Robinson are two other local stand-outs with bright futures.
Keep an eye on Chris Wright as well. He’s an undefeated featherweight out of Knoxville Martial Arts Academy, the same gym that helped produce Strikeforce’s fastest rising light heavyweight star Ovince St. Preux, who is taking on Ron “Abongo” Humphrey on the televised main portion of the card.
Those in attendance Jan. 7 at Municipal Auditorium are in for a very special night of action. This preliminary card represents many of the best fighters in the state and there are fighters on this card who are destined to become big show champions.
PRELIMINARY CARD (PROS)
- 185 John Salter (Nashville, TN) vs Casey Huffman (Kokomo, IN)
- 125 Dustin Ortiz (Nashville, TN) vs Matt Horning (Washington Court House, OH)
- 185 Dustin West (Nashville, TN) vs Daniel Schmitt (Chattanooga, TN)
- 170 Gerric Hayes (Nashville, TN) vs Stoney Hale (Johnson City, TN)
- 145 Chris Coggins (Clarksville, TN) vs Chris Wright (Knoxville, TN)
- 135 Thomas Campbell (Clarksville, TN) vs Jeremy Wallace (Camden, TN)
- 170 Chris Barnhizer (Nashville, TN) vs Karl Willis (Clarksville, TN)
- 145 Luke Sanders (Nashville, TN) vs Josh Jarvis (Graysville, TN)
- 185 Charles McTorry (Nashville, TN) vs Krishaun Gilmore (Cincinnati, OH)
- 170 Jeremy Boczulak (Nashville, TN) vs Jason Blackford (Nashville, TN)
PRELIMINARY CARD (AMATEUR-to be held following the pro prelims)
- 145 Dave Hurst (Nashville, TN) vs Steven Durr (Clarksville, TN)
- 185 Josh Phelps (Smiths Grove, KY) vs Randy Shores (Springfield, TN)
- 135 Cory Robison (Nashville, TN) vs Dusty Gibbs (London, KY)
UPDATE (12-27-10): Fight card updated with a couple of changes. Most notable changes are that John Salter has an opponent in Casey Huffman and Chris Camacho is off the card.