AUSTIN, Texas – All 20 fighters are weighed-in and ready to go for Wednesday’s “UFC Fight Night 22: Marquardt vs. Palhares,” which will take place at the Frank Erwin Center and air live on Spike TV. Main event fighters Rousimar Palhares and Nate Marquardt both tipped the scales at 186 lbs. even, the maximum weight limit for an MMA middleweight non-title fight.
Only one fighter was over weight, The Ultimate Fighter season eight winner Efrain Escudero came in at 159 lbs., a whopping three pounds over the 156 lbs. allowed for a lightweight non-title bout. Escudero will be fined and 20% of his purse will go to his opponent Charles Oliveira, who weighed in at 154 lbs.
Three pounds over weight may not sound like much to the average person, but it is quite significant and often means there was some problem during their training camp, whether it be an injury or some other distraction.
MAIN CARD (Televised – Spike TV)
- Rousimar Palhares (186) VS Nate Marquardt (186)
- Charles Oliveira (154) VS Efrain Escudero (159*)
- Gleison Tibau (154) VS Jim Miller (155.5)
- Cole Miller (156) VS Ross Pearson (156)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Not Televised)
- John Gunderson (156) VS Yves Edwards (155)
- Kyle Kingsbury (206) VS Jared Hamman (205)
- David Branch (186) VS Tomasz Drwal (185.5)
- Rafael Natal (186) VS Rich Attonito (185)
- David Mitchell (170.5) VS TJ Waldburger (171)
- Forrest Petz (170) VS Brian Foster (170.5)
*Escudero failed to make weight – he will be fined 20% of his purse, which will go to Oliveira