The finals for the all-women’s Ultimate Fighter season 20 took place Friday night from the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas. Fighting in the finals for the inaugural UFC women’s strawweight championship were Carla Esparza, representing Team Pettis, and Rose Namajunas, representing Team Melendez. Despite being taken down three times in round one, Namajunas came out aggressive and looking strong. But it was Esparza’s GSP-esque wrestling and timing that ultimately led to a third round submission to take home the first-ever UFC women’s 115-pound title.
In addition to the eight female bouts on the card, there were three men’s fights — two at lightweight, and one at featherweight. Unfortunately, the 145-pound bout between Daron Cruickshank and KJ Noons was stopped early in the second round via No Contest due to Cruickshank taking two inadvertent pokes to the same eye. The man could not see, and smartly told that to the doctor and the bout was stopped. Up until that point we were entertained by two very dangerous and dynamic strikers; Cruickshank with his crazy kicks and Noons with his boxing style.
In other women’s MMA action, tough Tecia Torres dominated that girl that likes to get naked on Twitter, Angela Magana. Also, Angela Hill, Aisling Daly, Joanne Calderwood, Heather Jo Clark, Felice Herrig and Jessica Penne, all picked up wins.
The complete results include:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 9 p.m. ET)
- Carla Esparza def. Rose Namajunas via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 3, 1:26 – for inaugural strawweight title
- Charles Oliveira def. Jeremy Stephens via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Daron Cruickshank vs. K.J. Noons ruled a No Contest (Cruickshank suffered unintentional eye poke and was unable to continue) — Round 2, 0:25
- Yancy Medeiros def. Joe Proctor via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1, 4:37
- Jessica Penne def. Randa Markos via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)
- Felice Herrig def. Lisa Ellis via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 3:05
- Heather Jo Clark def. Bec Rawlings via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Joanne Calderwood def. Seo Hee Ham via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Tecia Torres def. Angela Magana via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)
- Aisling Daly def. Alex Chambers via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 4:53
- Angela Hill def. Emily Kagan via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)