FOX Sports broke the news on Monday.
Brown (18-11) has been on a career defining tear the last couple years, winning his last six fights — five by knockout. He’s coming off a 29-second “Knockout of the Night” win over Mike Pyle this past August at UFC Fight Night 26.
Brown was expected to return to action in December against fellow title hunter Carlos Condit, but a back injury forced “The Immortal” to withdraw just days prior to fight night.
Silva (16-4, 1 NC) is 4-3 inside the Octagon and has yet to string together back-to-back wins during his two-and-a-half years fighting in the UFC. After suffering a second round KO loss to Dong Hyun Kim in October 2013, Silva rebounded last month scoring a first round knockout over late replacement Takenori Sato at UFC Fight Night 36.
With Brown vs. Silva headlining, the UFC Fight Night 40 card now includes:
- Matt Brown vs. Erick Silva
- Daron Cruickshank vs. Erik Koch
- Johnny Eduardo vs. Eddie Wineland
- Lorenz Larkin vs. Constantinos Philippou
- Justin Salas vs. Ben Wall
- Ed Herman vs. Rafael Natal
- Soa Palelei vs. Ruan Potts
- Manny Gamburyan vs. Nik Lentz
- Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Darrell Montague
- Chris Cariaso vs. Louis Smolka
- Yan Cabral vs. Alexander Yakovlev