We were treated to UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit on Saturday night and I must say I enjoyed it, controversial main event and all. It’ll be interesting to see if it does anywhere near 300,000 PPV buys, if so I’m sure the Zuffa brass will be pretty happy. The event went pretty much how I though it would with me only missing one fight in my predictions(I still think Diaz won 3-2), but that’s neither here nor there. Let’s get ready to put our Joe Silva matchmaker hat on and see what’s next for these guys.
- Carlos Condit defeated Nick Diaz to capture the UFC welterweight interim title. He can either wait until Georges St. Pierre is ready to fight, which will be around November, or he can defend his interim title this summer. I’d prefer him to fight this summer, because he doesn’t deserve to fight St. Pierre if he can’t defend that interim title successfully right? If Jake Ellenberger takes out Diego Sanchez, I think he is the next person in line. If not, a bout with Johny Hendricks makes sense with him taking out Jon Fitch not long ago. Then of course, they could always do an immediate rematch with Nick Diaz which seems like that’s the fight most want to see.
- Nick Diaz will not retire as he said in his post fight interview in my opinion. He could rematch Condit, or possibly fight Josh Koscheck next.
- Fabricio Werdum looked very good against Roy Nelson, but a win over the one dimensional Nelson isn’t that big of a deal in my opinion. Werdum is in a tough spot in that he doesn’t have many options that make sense for him. It’s rumored that Cain Velasquez will fight Frank Mir at some point, so those two fighters are unavailable. The other ranked heavyweights are in Strikeforce, which leaves us with the winner of the Cheick Kongo vs. Mark Hunt fight that’ll take place at UFC 144 in a couple of weeks.
- Roy Nelson should fight someone along the lines of Matt Mitrione. Nelson isn’t going to be a champion in the heavyweight division, but he could be the ultimate gatekeeper.
- Josh Koscheck lost the fight to Mike Pierce in my opinion. He’s no longer an elite welterweight and I’ll be talking about that later today. A fight with Johny Hendricks makes sense in that Hendricks just destroyed his teammate in Jon Fitch. Hendricks needs another win over a ‘name’ and Koscheck fits the bill.
- Mike Pierce is a very tough fighter and a fight with someone like Rick Story makes sense.
- Renan Barao made pretty easy work of Scott Jorgensen who’s a top ten fighter. There’s no sense in wasting time with Barao as he’s a supreme talent and there’s a lack of title challengers for the current champion Dominick Cruz. All of the other top bantamweights are dropping down to the newly created flyweight division. Cruz will face Urijah Faber once they wrap up season 15 of TUF as coaches. Barao could sit out to face the winner of that fight for the title, or fight the winner of the Miguel Torres vs. Michael McDonald fight at UFC 145.
- Scott Jorgensen can fight the loser of the Torres/McDonald fight.
- Ed Herman said he wants a top ten guy next. Give him Rousimar Palhares then.
What say you?