CHICAGO, Ill. – Bellator Fighting Championships announced on Thursday the addition of Jared Hess (9-1-1) and Sean “The Destroyer” Loeffler (18-4) to their upcoming Season 2 middleweight tournament roster.
Hess, a NCAA All-American wrestler at the University of Central Oklahoma, was a Bellator Season 1 tournament finalist. He came into the tournament undefeated at 6-0-1. He won his first two bouts, but then lost to Hector Lombard in the middleweight championship due to a cut. Hess fought six times last year, and the loss to Lombard was his only defeat. He would like the chance to avenge that loss.
“I’m looking forward to winning the tournament and getting a chance to face Hector again,” Hess said. “I think it would be a much different outcome this time. My standup has improved by leaps and bounds since then. Add that to my wrestling and I think I’d have a distinct edge this time.”
The 27-year-old Loeffler is currently riding a six-fight win streak, having knocked out Sam Salas in the first round at “Gladiator Challenge: Vision Quest” in his most recent bout last month. Loeffler will be bringing a certain attitude into the tournament.
“I watch fights on TV and the guys are dancing around and throwing jabs. That’s not for me … that’s not MMA,” Loeffler said. “This is not ballet. It’s combat sports, so you won’t see me stalling and circling. If there’s one word to describe my fighting style, it’s violent. Win or lose, if you fight me, you’re not gonna leave looking pretty.”
Other middleweights who are also confirmed for the tournament thus far are Bryan “The Beast” Baker, Matt Major, and Eric Schambari. Visit Bellator.com for more information about the promotion.