Vitor Belfort forced to pull out of UFC 112 title fight with Anderson Silva

“Vitor is out its true.” And with five simple words, one of the most anticipated fights of 2010 will not take place. UFC President Dana White tweeted those words today, confirming the UFC middleweight title fight between champion Anderson “The Spider” Silva (25-4) and Vitor “The Phenom” Belfort (19-8), which was scheduled as the main … Read more

Anderson Silva expected to face Vitor Belfort at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

In an exclusive report, Brazilian MMA site Tatame is reporting a fight between UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort is in the works for UFC 112, on April 10, in Abu Dhabi. It will be the UFC’s first trip to Abu Dhabi, and the event will take place just five days after the Jiu-Jitsu World Pro Cup 2010.

According to Carlos Santos, leader of Abu Dhabi’s Emirates Team, both Belfort and Silva’s people contacted him about training at his academy in the days leading up to the fight.

Also, from the interview it sounds like UFC 112 could take place outdoors. Santos says, “And it’s good to remember that UFC is going to be in an open place, so it’s good that fighters come early to adapt to the weather here, that must be around 77°F on this date.”

Read moreAnderson Silva expected to face Vitor Belfort at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi

Please like & share:
error

Thiago Alves plans to learn from his mistakes

Georges St. Pierre once again showed everyone why he is the UFC Welterweight Champion by dominating Thiago “Pitbull” Alves with a unanimous decision victory at UFC 100. Many believed Alves, with his size, strength, and striking ability, would be the fighter to stop GSP in his tracks.

Alves recently talked to the Brazilian magazine Tatame about why he was not able to put a stop to St. Pierre’s reign. “What surprised me was that I couldn’t find the guy… I did a great strategy, but every time I tried to catch him he moved away,” said Alves.

Read moreThiago Alves plans to learn from his mistakes

Please like & share:
error

Marcos Rua joins brothers, Ninja and Shogun as MMA fighter

Shogun, Marcos, & Ninja

The third and youngest Rua brother is set to follow in the footsteps of his siblings. Twenty-two year old Marcos Rua, the younger brother of Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua and Murilo ‘Ninja’ Rua, is set to make his MMA debut in Brazil sometime in the near future.

Although youngest, he is the tallest of the three light heavyweights. Marcos, who currently has no nickname, was set to fight in ‘The Glory’ (a Brazilian MMA promotion) this month, but the event has been postponed until March.

“He’s well, training tough and very focused,” Mauricio Rua told Tatame. “He was due to fight at The Glory in January, but it was delayed to March. But we want to see him fighting before then.”

Read moreMarcos Rua joins brothers, Ninja and Shogun as MMA fighter

Please like & share:
error

Affliction to put on 16 shows in 2009?

If anyone had been pondering the number of shows Afflicition may put on in 2009, former UFC heavyweight, Fabricio Werdum appears to have the answer.

Werdum stated that Affliction will continue to produce many cards in 2009, while discussing the potential companies he would sign with. Apparently, Werdum hasn’t been drinking the Dana White Koolaid and believes Affliction will be around after January.

“I’m recuperating myself from injuries and, for this event now (in January), there’s not way. Affliction is promising more than 16 shows in 2009.

Read moreAffliction to put on 16 shows in 2009?

Please like & share:
error

Anderson Silva still hints at boxing career

It seems Anderson Silva had plans to go to Thailand to work on his Muay Thai after UFC 90 but issues with his Green Card have delayed the trip. He also recently got turned away at the Canadian border and denied entrance to the country possibly for the same reasons.

In the meantime while waiting for his documents, Silva has been working on his boxing. Having spent some time with Freddie Roach and also attending the Roy Jones Jr. vs. Joe Calzaghe fight in New York, it’s no secret Silva still has strong leanings toward the world of professional boxing.

Read moreAnderson Silva still hints at boxing career

Please like & share:
error

Werdum talks about controversial departure from UFC

It’s has been a troubling month for Fabricio Werdum. Rumors of his departure from the UFC began soon after his loss to Junior Dos Santos at UFC 90. While he first denied the speculation, he now can confirm his exit from the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

“When I first heard the rumors, I didn’t know anything. I had four more fights left with them on my contract, which ran to 2010. But they demanded to renegotiate my exiting contract by cutting my pay in half,” revealed the heavyweight. Adding also that his departure had nothing to do with the video game licensing dispute. “No that wasn’t an issue but it is not something that benefits the fighters.”

“It’s a pity. I would have liked to continue with the UFC but now we forge ahead,” said Fabricio who still has plans to move to the US.

Read moreWerdum talks about controversial departure from UFC

Please like & share:
error