MEZ SPORTS PANDEMONIUM VIII took place Saturday night at Fairplex So Cal in Pomona, Calif. The pro MMA/boxing hybrid event was headlined with Men’s flyweight MMA title bout that saw a previously undefeated Steve Swanson of Jackson’s MMA get submitted in the third round by Kana Hyatt of Antonio McKee’s Body Shop.
The younger brother of popular UFC fighter Cub Swanson, Steve Swanson was highly touted at 9-0 coming into the fight and had stopped his last five opponents in the first round. Hyatt, a hard-hitting Hawaii transplant, was 10-12 coming into the fight and considered by many just to be a stepping stone for Swanson toward the UFC.
It appeared Swanson had things under control as he took the first round, but Hyatt came back and rallied in round two. As the third round got underway Swanson rocked Hyatt with big punches and it looked as though he was almost out on his feet and another punch or two would end it, but Swanson inexplicably took Hyatt down.
With under two minutes remaining in the bout Hyatt locked up a triangle and moments later Swanson tapped out. It was absolutely one of the best fights of the year, and commentator Javier Vasquez described it as probably the best fight he had ever called. It was an amazing display of heart, that indomitable Hawaiian spirit and everything that makes MMA great.
The co-main event saw two of California’s top 135-pound up-and-comers John Robles and Steven Barajas go at it, ending with Robles brutally stopping Barajas with elbows 4:19 into the first round. It was a great night of action and the full video replay is now available for your viewing pleasure (see below).
The complete PANDEMONIUM VIII fight card results are as follows:
- (MMA) Brandon Moreno def. Jason Carbajal by TKO (punches) Rd 3 (1:52)
- (MMA) Dominic Clark def. Martin Gantt by submission (guillotine choke) Rd 1 (2:02)
- (MMA) Alex Perez def. Peter Baltimore by unanimous decision (30-27 x 3)
- (Boxing) John Hyde vs. Trace Gray def. John Hyde by knockout (left hook) Rd 3 (1:18)
- (MMA) Jason Cordero def. Emilio Chavez by submission (standing guillotine) Rd 2 (2:42)
- (Boxing) Luis Jesus Hernandez def. Johnny Frazier by majority decision (38-38, 39-37 x 2)
- (MMA) Boostarye Nafarios def. Jared Carlsten by split decision (28-29, 30-27, 30-27)
- (MMA) Arturo Basulto def. Justin Schalk by TKO (strikes) Rd 3 (1:54)
- (Boxing) Carlos Meraz def. Antonio Moya by unanimous decision (38-37, 39-36, 39-36)
- (WMMA) Norma Center def. Rachael Cummins by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- (MMA) John Robles def. Steven Barajas by TKO (elbows) Rd 1 (4:19)
- (MMA) Kana Hyatt def. Steve Swanson by submission (triangle choke) Rd 3 (3:55) – MEZ Sports Pandemonium Fights Flyweight Championship Fight
PANDEMONIUM VIII full event video:
Stay tuned to ProMMAnow.com for upcoming announcements regarding PANDEMONIUM’s next event. These guys are doing big things and are picking up where Tachi Palace left off with the lighter weight classes, including signing former Tachi two-division champ and UFC vet Ulysses Gomez, who will appear on PANDEMONIUM’s next fight card.
MEZ Sports PANDEMONIUM FIGHTS promoter Craig Zimmerman will appear on tonight’s episode of Pro MMA Now Radio to recap the event — and a couple of fighters may call in as well, so tune in for that.