Their face-off had an extra level of intensity added to it as Spong arrived late for the weigh-in and kept Bonjasky standing around waiting. The decorated veteran felt he had not been af! forded the respect he deserved and Spong received a good dose of evil eye as he finally strolled in to take the scales.
Also on the scales were top British talents Liam Harrison (67-13-2, 38 KO’s) and Jordan Watson (29-5-1, 14 KO’s), who were bang on weight for their main card clashes tomorrow night. Harrison’s Dutch-Moroccan opponent Mosab ‘Jaguar’ Amrani (48-7-4, 14 KO’s) made weight with no issues but Australian KO artist ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Moxon (29-4-1, 16 KO’s) was 100 grams over and had to go for a short jog around the block to get rid of the excess. “I should have cut my hair,” he quipped.
Bonjasky wasn’t the only fighter initially left solo beside the scales. Top lightweight (70 kilos/155lbs) contender Albert ‘The Hurricane’ Kraus (72-15-3, 43 KO’s) weighed in but had nobody to stare down with because s! cheduled opponent Andy Ristie (36-2-1, 20 KO’s), a Suriname national based in the Netherlands, hit last-minute visa problems and had to withdraw.
Kraus now faces Warren Stevelmans (64-16-4, 20 KO’s), who had been set to face French prodigy Johann Fauveau (26-2-1, 16 KO’s) on the undercard. Fauveau will now make his GLORY debut against London-based Romanian import Pasniciuc Constantin.
GLORY 5 London takes place at the ExCel Arena, London, England on Saturday March 23. The complete official weigh-in results are as follows:
The event is nearly sold out but some tickets are still available from £45 via www.ticketmaster.co.uk or by phone at 0844 847 2543.
The live stream of the event in its entirety begins at 19:30 UK time/2:30 p.m. EST/11:30 a.m. PST on www.gloryworldseries.com.
Heavyweight Main Event:
- Tyrone Spong (Suriname) 102 kgs/ 224.8 lbs vs. Remy Bonjasky (Netherlands) 103.5 kgs / 228.1 lbs
- Liam Harrison (UK) 64.2 kgs / 141.5 lbs vs. Mosab Armani (Morocco) 64.7 kgs / 142.6 lbs
- Albert Kraus (Netherlands) 69.9 kilos/ 154.1lbs vs. Warren Stevelmans (South Africa) 69.1 kgs/ 152.3 lbs
- Jordan Watson (UK) 69.9 kgs / 154.1lbs vs. Steve Moxon (Australia) 70.5 kilos / 155.4 lbs
- Eddie Walker (USA) 85 kgs / 187.3 vs. Stephen Wakeling (UK) 84 kgs / 185.1
- Dustin Jacoby (USA) 93.5 kgs / 206.1 vs. Michael Duut (Netherlands) 94.0 kgs / 207.2 lbs
- Daniel Sam (UK) 122 kgs / 268.9 lbs vs. Jaideep Singh (India) 109 kgs/ 240.3 lbs
Catchweight (67 kgs)
- Reece McAllister (UK) 65.8 kgs / 145 lbs vs. Tim ‘TNT’ Thomas (UK) 65.9 kgs / 145.2 lbs
- Johann Fauveau (France) 69.8 kgs / 154 lbs vs. Pasniciuc Constantin (Romania) (weighing late by arrangement)
Catchweight (79 kilos)
- Nicola Gallo (Italy) 78 kgs / 172 lbs vs. Jhonata Oliveira (Brazil) 79 kilos / 174.1 lbs