The full field of 32 welterweight (170 pound) fighters has been revealed for “The Ultimate Fighter Fridays” which begins on Friday, Sept. 14 on FX with a special two-hour premiere starting at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
Episode one will feature 16 fights that will narrow the field from 32 fighters to 16. Those 16 fighters will then be divided into two teams where they will receive top level training led by UFC heavyweights Shane Carwin and Roy “Big Country” Nelson and their team of coaches.
“The Ultimate Fighter Fridays” will run for 13 consecutive weeks each Friday night at 10 p.m. ET/PT. The two teams of fighters will compete against one another in a tournament format with the eventual winner being crowned “The Ultimate Fighter” at the live finale on Saturday, Dec. 15 on FX. The winner will receive the traditional prize of a six-figure contract with the UFC.
UFC President Dana White spoke about the coaches:
“Carwin and Nelson are two guys who just can’t stand each other and Roy and I haven’t exactly seen eye to eye either – he’s been a nightmare for me to work with on this show with all his stupid BS.”
Chuck Saftler, Executive Vice President, FX Networks gave his take on the upcoming season:
“We feel that the rivalry between these two guys is going to create a season filled with fireworks and high drama, and we already know we can count on Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, Craig Borsari and Craig Piligian to bring the highest quality product to UFC fans, so we couldn’t be more pumped about the upcoming season.”
The list of 32 fighters who will appear on “The Ultimate Fighter Fridays” season premiere and compete in the elimination round are as follows:
- Bristol Marunde, 30, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Cameron Diffley, 27, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Colton Smith, 25, Fort Hood, Texas via Ankeny, Iowa
- Cortez Coleman, 30, Hugo, Okla.
- David Michaud, 23, Pine Ridge, S.D.
- Diego Bautista, 26, Lakewood, Calif.
- Dom Waters, 23, Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Eddy Ellis, 29, Olympia, Wash.,
- Frank Camacho, 23, Camp Springs, Md.,
- George Lockhart, 29, Atlanta, Ga.
- Igor Araujo, 31, Albuquerque, N.M. via Patos De Minas, Brazil
- James Chaney, 25, Klamath Falls, Ore.
- Jason South, 34, West Jordan, Utah
- Jerel Clark, 23, Reno, Nev.
- Jesse Barrett, 26, Tempe, Ariz.
- Joey Rivera, 32, Tucson, Ariz.
- Jon Manley, 26, Ludlow, Mass.
- Julian Lane, 25, Mansfield, Ohio
- Kevin Nowaczyk, 23, Chicago, Ill.
- Leo Kuntz, 28, Bismarck, N.D.
- Lev Magen, 25, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Matt Secor, 25, South Glens Falls, N.Y.
- Max Griffin, 26, Sacramento, Calif.
- Michael Hill, 25, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
- Mike Ricci, 26, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Neil Magny, 24, Chicago, Ill.
- Nic Herron-Webb, 22, Anchorage, Alaska
- Ricky Legere Jr., 26, Corona, Calif.
- Saad Awad, 23, San Bernardino, Calif.
- Sam Alvey, 26, Murrieta, Calif.
- Tim Ruberg, 30, Harrison, Ohio
- Zane Kamaka, 23, Klaianae, Hawaii
In other news:
— XFC MMA (@OfficialXFC) August 30, 2012