WEC champ Jose Aldo believes he’ll face Mark Hominick in January

Jose Aldo (R) dominated Manny Gamburyan (L) in his last title defense. (Photo courtesy of WEC.tv/Zuffa LLC)

WEC featherweight champion and rising pound-for-pound star Jose Aldo (18-1) recently said that he will likely face contender Mark Hominick (19-8) for his next title defense, according to Tatame.com (translated via Google).

Aldo most recently defeated Manny Gamburyan by second round knockout at WEC 51. With dominant wins over the division’s two previous champions, Mike Brown and Urijah Faber, it looks as if the WEC was about to run out of options to keep Aldo busy at 145, with only a fight against Hominick or perhaps Josh Grispi — who first has to get past Erik Koch at WEC 52 on Nov. 11 — looking viable.

Hominick, who also went 2-0 for the UFC while campaigning at 155, has won his last four WEC fights after coming up short in his first two appearances — submission losses to Grispi and Rani Yahya.

There had been recent speculation that Jose Aldo would welcome a move to the UFC’s 155 division if offered, but even before Aldo beat Gamburyan, WEC general manager Reed Harris said that the promotion should have plenty of opponents for Aldo at 145 for at least the next year or two.

REMINDER: WEC 52 ticket giveaway

Don’t forget to enter our contest to win tickets to WEC 52 on Nov. 11 in Las Vegas, featuring Urijah Faber in his bantamweight debut against Takeya Mizugaki. To enter, CLICK HERE and make your pick in the UFC 121 heavyweight title bout between Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez.

Please like & share:
error