Women’s mixed martial arts phenom and Strikeforce middleweight champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos (10-1) may return to action in late 2010 or early 2011.
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker broke the news during a Friday media call and said the company would make a more detailed announcement about Cyborg in the next couple of weeks.
Cyborg won the most anticipated fight in women’s MMA history in 2009 by defeating Gina Carano via first-round TKO. So far this year, Cyborg has record a TKO win over Marloes Coenen and a knockout over Jan Finney.
Other upcoming title bouts
During the conference call, Coker would not confirm whether the winner of the Josh Thomson and Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante fight on Oct. 9 would be in line for a shot at current lightweight champ Gilbert Melendez, adding that it depends on possible match-up opportunities for Melendez in DREAM.
“It definitely will have title implications,” Coker said of the fight. “When that happens, [I’m] not sure.”
With Sarah Kaufman set to defend her 135-pound title on that same card against Coenen, Coker also did not respond to whether 135-pound tournament winner Miesha Tate would sit out for the rest of the year to wait for her title shot or have a fight in the interim. An answer on that could also come in the next week or so, Coker said.