The Maximum Fighting Championship smashes its way into the 2010 campaign with MFC 24: Heat XC – a special joint promotion show featuring fighters from the MFC and Heat XC, the two organizations under the umbrella of Pavelich Sports Inc.
MFC 24: Heat XC will take place on Friday, February 26 at the River Cree Resort and Casino just outside Edmonton, Alberta, and will be streamed live online at www.maximumfighting.com.
An 11-fight card has been set for MFC 24 with the event headlined by what promises to be a fast-paced lightweight bout between “The Texas Gunslinger” Yves Edwards (36-15-1) and Derrick “The Eraser” Noble (25-12-1).
Edwards, who fights out of Woodlands, Texas, is an exciting striker known for finishing his opponents in style, while Noble, who trains in Champlain, Minnesota, will be looking to get back into MFC lightweight title contention following a loss to current champion Antonio McKee at MFC 20.
Two light heavyweight bouts are also featured on main card – the first pitting a pair of proven knockout artists squaring off in what is sure to be a heavy-hitting affair. Tulsa, Oklahoma, native David Heath (14-6), who was part of the MFC’s 2009 Fight of the Year, will look to stop the surging Dwayne Lewis (10-4) of Fort McMurray, Alberta, who is riding a wave of knockout supremacy.
Among Heath’s top career wins is a victory over former MFC light heavyweight champ Roger Hollett, while Lewis has won six straight bouts including a stunning first-round knockout of Marvin Eastman at MFC 23.
The other main-card light heavyweight encounter has Chris “The Exorcist” Price (15-3) of Indianapolis, Indiana, taking on Nick “The Quiet Assassin” Penner (9-1) of Edmonton, Alberta.
Price is already an accomplished veteran now looking to make his mark in the MFC, but Penner intends on making his first trip to the 205-pound division a successful one following a strong run at heavyweight where he neatly blended his striking and submission skills.
Penner will share the home-town spotlight with middleweight Travis “The Gladiator” Galbraith (17-6) who moves down to the 185-pound ranks for a clash with English invader Tom “Kong” Watson (10-3).
Galbraith is back in the MFC fold following a lengthy layoff which came after his controversial split-decision win over David Heath at MFC 21. Watson, who hails from Southampton, England, is making his much-anticipated MFC debut after developing a potent reputation and following in his home country.
The main card is rounded out by a welterweight clash that sees Nathan “Gunner” Gunn (7-1) of Thunder Bay, Ontario, meeting Thiago Goncalves (11-3) of Vancouver, B.C.
Gunn will be out for redemption following his knockout loss to Pete Spratt at MFC 22, while Goncalves, who is a frequent training partner of fellow Brazilian Anderson Silva, is also aiming to bounce back after a tough decision loss to Corey MacDonald at Heat XC 3.
Six fights under the Heat XC brand will be the focus of an undercard of up-and-coming prospects. The undercard bouts are:
- Dami Egbeyemi vs. Paapa Inkumsah, welterweight
- David Letourneau vs. Nick Hrynchyshyn, welterweight
- Jared Kilkenny vs. Jason Kuchera, light heavyweight
- Elliot Duff vs. Jason Gorny, middleweight
- Matt Jelly vs. Garret Nybakken, lightweight
- Eric Chouinard vs. Zach Blaber, light heavyweight
Only a few tickets remain for MFC 24: Heat XC. Remaining tickets can be purchased by calling the MFC Ticket Hotline at (780) 504-2024 or through Ticketmaster at (780) 451-8000, www.ticketmaster.ca, and Ticketmaster outlets.
Schedule of Events for MFC 24: Heat XC
Wednesday, February 24
Centre Bar – River Cree Resort and Casino
Speakers will include:
- Mark Pavelich – Maximum Fighting Championship Owner/President
- Yves Edwards – Lightweight contender
- Derrick Noble – Lightweight title hopeful
- David Heath – Veteran light heavyweight
- Dwayne Lewis – Popular light heavyweight
- Chris Price – New light heavyweight contender
- Nick Penner – Home-town light heavyweight
- Tom Watson – English middleweight prospect
- Travis Galbraith – Middleweight home-town fighter
* Those requesting media credentials must do so in advance. No requests will be processed the week of the event. Media members can pick up their accreditation for MFC 24: Heat XC at the press conference or at the Box Office Will Call the night of the show.
Thursday, February 25
Centre Bar – River Cree Resort and Casino
All fighters will be on the scale and available for interviews and photos.
Friday, February 26
The Venue – River Cree Resort and Casino
Doors open at 6 p.m. with undercard bouts starting at 6:15 p.m. The main card will be broadcast live online www.maximumfighting.com at 8 p.m.