A couple of MMA pioneers stepped in the cage at W-1 “High Voltage” Saturday at the Robert Guertin Arena in Gatineau, Quebec. Carlos “The Ronin” Newton (15-13) took on “Mr. International” Shonie Carter (48-20-7) in the main event of what was supposed to be a five-round welterweight title fight.
Newton failed to make the 170-pound weight limit, so a catch weight was set and he forfeited a portion of his purse. Then he failed to make the catch weight limit and his pay was docked even further.
Although he got off to a slow start in the first round, Newton bounced back in the second and third rounds using striking and submission attempts. “The Ronin” walked away with a unanimous decision victory with scores of 29-28 from all three judges, making it his second win of the year in the Warrior-1 promotion.
Carter gave his thoughts on the fight and Newton after the bout,
“I came out to do my job to the best of my ability and I came up a little short this time. Carlos is a most worthy opponent — he should be in the hall of fame and I think that his time will come.”
The co-main event featured a featherweight title fight between Adrian Wooley (6-1) and previously undefeated Remi Morvan (6-1). Wooley used his exceptional wrestling to close the distance, put Morvan on his back, and control the action for the majority of the fight. The judges ruled it a unanimous victory making Wooley the new W-1 featherweight champ.
W-1: High Voltage results:
- Xavier Desrochers def. Nicolas Pariseau by Submission (Armbar) Rd 2 (3:17)
- Josh Hill def. Vito Attanasi by TKO (Punches) Rd 2 (1:42)
- Luc Nadeau def. Rob Tracey by TKO (Punches) Rd 1 ( 4:48)
- John Fraser def. Tommy Pariseau by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 1 (3:44)
- Michel Gagnon def. Jeff Harrison by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 1 (4:32)
- Nabil Khatib def. Chris Vorano by Submission (Guillotine Choke) Rd 1 (4:06)
- Bruno Hosier def. Aaron Dupuis by Submission (Punches) Rd 1 (3:20)
- Tom Waters def. Mike Hong Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Adrian Wooley def. Remi Morvan by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 5 (5:00)
- Carlos Newton def. Shonie Carter by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)