UFC 103 fallout, the day after

Photo: UFC - Vitor Belfort made a successful return to the UFC by knocking out Rich Franklin.
Photo: UFC - Vitor Belfort made a successful return to the UFC by knocking out Rich Franklin.

What has changed, if anything, for the participants in last night’s “UFC 103 Franklin vs. Belfort?” Who moves up in their perspective weight-class rankings? Who drops off the radar, and perhaps the UFC roster?

Let’s start with the under card:
Four of the eight fights ended in decision, starting with the first fight. The decision winners will undoubtedly remain employed, but delegated to other UFC under card fights; most notably, TUF alum Eliot Marshall, winning by controversial split decision, and Vladamir Matyushenko, who won via unanimous decision.

Read moreUFC 103 fallout, the day after

Please like & share:

UFC’s Lorenzo Fertitta visits CroCop in Croatia

Index understands that Lorenzo Fertitta, the head honcho and part owner of the UFC flew to Zagreb with his own private jet earlier this morning. He was driven to Mirko’s residents shortly after, where he stayed for two hours talking with the Croatian fighter. He returned to the airport afterwards, smiling, where his private jet flew off in to an unknown destination.

Filipovic receives an offer he can not refuse
There is no doubt that Fertitta came to Zagreb to persuade the Croatian fighter to change his mind and to sign with the world’s strongest fight sport organization. We understand that Cro Cop has been offered an incredible deal that should see him fight with the UFC once again. Although Filipovic was unavailable for comment, it’s clear that this is a major development in the ongoing negotiations. We will almost certainly see CroCop in the world’s strongest organization once again despite Cro Cop’s close ties with Dream.

Read moreUFC’s Lorenzo Fertitta visits CroCop in Croatia

Please like & share:

Cro Cop returns to UFC with new motivation

For the first time since 2007, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic will return to the UFC this Saturday, June 13, in Cologne, Germany where he will face fellow heavyweight Mostapha Al-Turk. The 34-year-old Croatian was excited about the prospect of fighting at UFC 99 due to Germany’s high Croatian population.

UFC President Dana White made it clear when Cro Cop left the promotion two years ago the door to the Octagon would remain open to him if the day came he wanted to return. Cro Cop earned his name as the most fearsome striker on the planet during his four year tenure with the Pride organization in Japan.

However, something was amiss when he arrived in the UFC in 2007. He won his first fight but was brutally knocked out in his second fight and lost a unanimous decision in his third. Something was different. Cro Cop tried to explain it during Tuesday’s UFC 99 conference call, “I just think I wasn’t the old Mirko Cro Cop that I used to be. I don’t know the reason. I spent so many times thinking about it. I don’t know, maybe I was just empty right after I won the Pride Grand Prix, I don’t know.”

Read moreCro Cop returns to UFC with new motivation

Please like & share:

Possible return for Mirko ‘Cro Cop’ Filipovic at UFC 99 in Germany

There is great news for fans of the ‘Croatian Sensation’. It is looking as though the legendary PRIDE and UFC veteran, Mirko Filipovic (24-6-2) could make his return to the UFC Octagon on June 13, 2009 in Cologne, Germany at UFC 99. The event will be the UFC’s first foray into the central European country and what better way to make an entrance than to bring back one of central Europe’s greatest fighters of all time, Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic.

‘Cro Cop’ a.k.a. ‘the Croatian Sensation’, told the Croatian news site, Nova, in a new interview he is in negotiations with the UFC to fight at UFC 99 and he is very confident they will come to an agreement and will be on the card in June. ‘Cro Cop’ said Randy Couture (16-9) could be a possible opponent but it was not up to him or his management.

Read morePossible return for Mirko ‘Cro Cop’ Filipovic at UFC 99 in Germany

Please like & share:

Mirko “CroCop” Filipovic out for six months

Mirko ‘CroCop’ Flipovic ended 2008 on a relative high note by defeating the Korean ‘Techno Giant,’ Hong Man Choi at the K-1 Dynamite!! New Year’s Eve extravaganza in Saitama, Japan.

‘CroCop’ won the fight with chopping leg kicks; the last collapsing the massive Korean’s leg causing him to fall to the ground.

As many fans saw, Mirko entered the ring with his classic attire of wrestling shoes but also both knees wrapped in braces. The fight itself was short of any major fireworks and we may now know why.

Read moreMirko “CroCop” Filipovic out for six months

Please like & share:

Bob Sapp vs. anime character at K-1 Dynamite!! 2008 New Year’s Eve card

If you thought you’d seen everything the strange world of Japanese fighting could possibly think of, think again! K-1 has announced that Bob Sapp (9-3-1) will be facing Japanese anime character, Kinniku Mantaro on New Year’s Eve.

Actually, Japanese wrestler, Akihito Tanaka (0-0), will be wearing a Kinniku Mantaro mask. It has been reported that Tanaka will wear the mask during the bout. Oddly enough, Tanaka is considered to be a serious heavyweight prospect making his MMA debut in K-1.

Akihito Tanaka is a seven-time All-Japan wrestling champion. Many Japanese pundits give him a better than average chance to win the fight against Sapp should he survive the opening minutes of the bout.

Read moreBob Sapp vs. anime character at K-1 Dynamite!! 2008 New Year’s Eve card

Please like & share:

Cro Cop confirms Hong Man Choi as opponent

For the last few weeks rumors have been circulating that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic would be facing off against Hong Man Choi at this New Year’s Eve K-1 Dynamite card. Now Cro Cop has confirmed the MMA rules match up in his blog:

I’m excited to let you know that I have accepted DREAM’s offer to fight against Hong-man Choi on December 31 at Dynamite show. We arranged all details and the contract has been signed – the fight is officialy on.

The Croation, Filipovic, known to fans as Cro Cop, has recently been trying to put his career back together after a less than impressive stint in the UFC. He debuted February of 2007 with a great deal of fan fare, and defeated Eddie Sanchez late in the first round.

Read moreCro Cop confirms Hong Man Choi as opponent

Please like & share:

New CroCop video game just in time for X-mas

Looking for that last minute gift for your MMA fan? Well look no further! According to a news release on
24sata.com.hr, a new Cro-Cop PC game, based on Mirko “CroCop” Filipovic, is now available.

CroCop has some very loyal die hard fans and they will be salivating to get into this game and high kick monsters into oblivion. Priced at a mere 49.90 kuna, it is a bargain indeed.

Read moreNew CroCop video game just in time for X-mas

Please like & share:

CroCop wants to fight Overeem…in his basement

by: Robert K

After another verbal jab by Alistair Overeem over the weekend, Cro Cop contacted Nova TV to tell his side of the story. In a short phone interview Cro Cop tells why the New Year’s eve rematch hasn’t been signed yet.

The accusations keep coming from Alistair Overeem’s camp. The Dutchman claims that Mirko is deliberately refusing to sign the contract that would make their New Year’s Eve bout official.

The Croatian fighter vehemently denied those accusations in a short phone interview.

Read moreCroCop wants to fight Overeem…in his basement

Please like & share:

Return of “The Monster” Kevin Randleman – TLOS exclusive

Former UFC Heavyweight Champion and recipient of the “Knockout of the Year” Award back in 2004 from Sportsbook.com for his KO of Mirko CroCop, the legend, Kevin “The Monster” Randleman stopped by to have a word with those wild and crazy guys from The Lights Out Show on Tuesday.

The Lights Out Show (www.thelightsoutshow.com), one of the most popular and most downloaded MMA radio shows/podcasts in the world, is a content-partner of PRO MMA (www.promma.info).

Randleman fought at PRIDE 32 back in 2006 where he lost to Shogun Rua by kneebar in Rd.1, then we didn’t hear from Randleman for a couple of years until he reappeared at Sengoku back in May of this year where he faced Ryo Kawamura and pulled of a unanimous decision victory. It’s good to know the 37 year-old “Monster” still has his heart in the game and here’s some of what had to say:

Randleman has been out of action mainly due to injuries. He has been battling a string of injuries including a torn ligament in his shoulder and a leg injury. According to Randleman, he even finished most of his last fight with the use of only one arm, hence the fight going to decision.

Read moreReturn of “The Monster” Kevin Randleman – TLOS exclusive

Please like & share: