ProElite relaunch under management of Stratus Media Group

SANTA BARBARA, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Stratus Media Group, Inc. (OTCBB:SMDI – News), a live entertainment company, announced today that Stratus has assumed control over the board of directors and the management of ProElite Inc. (Pink Sheets:PELE – News), an entertainment and media company involved in the promotion of mixed martial arts (MMA). “This acquisition allows Stratus and ProElite to … Read more

Kimbo Slice leaving MMA for boxing?

Kevin Ferguson, better known as the Internet street fighting sensation ‘Kimbo Slice’, says he wants to try his hand at professional boxing. In an interview with Bahamian news paper, The Nassau Guardian, Ferguson stated he will be making the transition to pro boxing as soon as he has fulfilled his MMA contract.

Ferguson’s contract, which was acquired when Strikeforce bought the majority of the bankrupt EliteXC’s assets, has two fights left to be completed within the year.

“I have two more MMA fights scheduled before this year is out. Every fighter and athlete knows that you should not switch camps in the middle of something. Also, I train in Florida. My MMA trainer will also be training me for stand up boxing. Finishing up my contract would allow me to be a free agent,” Ferguson said.

Read more

Please like & share:

‘Skala’ breaks his silence

Jared Shaw, affectionately known as “Skala”, has finally surfaced after months of absence from the public eye. He recently gave an interview to another man who has been taking a little break as well, Ariel Helwani.

In this new interview, ‘Skala’ talks about his time with ELITE XC, his accomplishments with helping to jumpstart the careers of a few now well-known fighters and the things he would have like to have done differently, given the chance.

He has one major regret out of his time with ELITE XC and that is the fact he stood up screaming when Kimbo Slice got knocked out by Seth Petruzelli on national TV. Shaw said now when you ‘Google’ his name inevitably that picture comes up. As the Editor of PRO MMA (promma.info) I’m proud to say we contributed to the cause. In fact we even had a ‘picture slogan’ contest in honor of that very memorable moment in MMA history.

Read more

Please like & share:

Bas Rutten would not train Kimbo Slice again for one million dollars

The only reason Kimbo Slice (3-1) a.k.a. Kevin Ferguson had the small bit of credibility he did was because the legend, El Guapo, vouched for him. Those days are over.

In a new AOL MMA FanHouse interview with Bas Rutten, the subject of Kimbo Slice inevitably came up. Bas said he was finished training Kimbo Slice and even if someone paid him a million dollars, it is not going to happen.

Bas had always seemed very supportive of Kimbo in interviews and had a lot of good things to say about him in the beginning. So where did things go sour? Bas explains,

Read more

Please like & share:

Strikeforce events to air live on Showtime in new deal

There is more great news for MMA fans coming out with Strikeforce’s purchase of Pro Elite assets. PRO MMA (http://promma.info) has learned that live Strikeforce mixed martial arts action will air on SHOWTIME beginning April 11, 2009.

The multi-year agreement calls for SHOWTIME to produce and televise up to 16 live events per year including the high-level Strikeforce shows fans have come to expect as well as a series dedicated to showcasing up-and-coming fighters in the sport. The Strikeforce debut event will broadcast live on SHOWTIME on Saturday, April 11, 2009 from the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. The fight card will be announced at a later date.

Read more

Please like & share:

Deal signed: Strikeforce purchases Pro Elite

Strikeforce has officially singed a deal to purchase Elite XC’s parent company Pro Elite. Earlier this afternoon Strikeforce officials informed PRO MMA (http://promma.info) that an agreement to acquire certain fighter contracts, specific assets and the video library of Elite XC.

Strikeforce Founder and CEO had this to say about the San Jose, CA based promotion’s acquisition of Pro Elite.

“This is a tremendous development that will bolster the Strikeforce roster and allow us to produce even more competitive matchups between top fighters. Some of these athletes have been on the sidelines for a while now and are eagerly waiting to return to competition. We look forward to providing them with the opportunity to do so in the next few months.”

Read more

Please like & share:

Strikeforce possible Pro Elite buyer?

Reports indicate that the San Jose, CA based promotion Strikeforce may purchase Pro Elite. According to MMA Weekly’s MMA Insider blog, the acquisition of Pro Elite could lead to MMA’s return to CBS as well as Showtime.

While the company that retains Pro Elite’s assets could find themselves on network television, it remains to be seen how many, or if any, of Pro Elite’s fighter contracts would transfer over. It has also been reported that an announcement of the purchase could occur sometime today or Friday. Strikeforce executive Mike Afromowitz came out yesterday and made it clear that no deal had yet been finalized.

“Any reports of a done deal are a complete fantasy. It’s complicated, and that’s why I don’t want to speculate. If anything is done, it will be very technical. It’s not as straightforward as you think.”

Read more

Please like & share:

EliteXC fighters seek release

It is being reported that the fighters still in contract limbo due to the failure of the sale of EliteXC have joined together with the Mixed Martial Artists Fighters Association and forwarded a draft of complaint to EliteXC officials to have them officially released from the company. They have warned in the complaint that if acknowlegement of their release is not granted within a specefied time frame, they will in turn file the complaint in open court.

The complaint itself was brought about by multiple fighters’ agents banding together with the MMAFA to speed up the release status of their collective clients’ contracts that are still owned by EliteXC.

We will have to wait and see what action, if any, EliteXC will take on this complaint but the agents feel like this will gain their fighters freedom to fight for other companies, as opposed to being stagnant and unable to earn an income while ProElite tries to sell their company.

Read more

Please like & share:

K-1 World Grand Prix ends with D.Q.

Remy Bonjasky won his third K-1 World Grand Prix title in the early hours Saturday morning on HDNet. However, he would not be celebrating and beaming of joy having the 2008 K-1 World GP belt wrapped around his waist.

The Dutchman defeated K-1 legend Jerome Le Banner via TKO in his first bout. He followed up that performance by knocking out Turkish fighter Gokhan Saki with a vicious leg shot to the ribs in the semi-finals, setting up a finale with K-1 2007-2008 Heavyweight Champion Badr Hari.

With a main event poised to cap off a night of fights that kept on proving K-1 possesses the best strikers in the world. Badr Hari ruined one of the most exciting K-1 World GP’s to date by channeling his inner Wanderlei Silva.

Read more

Please like & share:

Kimbo to K-1?

Despite Pro Elite shutting its doors, the Kimbo Slice experiment appears far from over. Multiple sources point to Kimbo appearing at the K-1 December 6th event at the Yokohama Arena to announce his future with the company.

Slice, the former Elite XC heavyweight and  media darling, could set foot in a K-1 ring as early as March. The original reports were that Slice would rematch Seth Petruzelli on the Dynamite!! New Years Eve card. It is uncertain if Slice would fight under K-1 or MMA rules, however if he fought K-1 rules at least no one has to worry about the promoters paying his opponents extra to keep it standing.

Read more

Please like & share: