UFC officials announced the bout on Tuesday.
Green (23-5) defeated Josh Thomson via split decision on the UFC on FOX 12 card, while Masvidal (27-8) dispatched Daron Cruickshank via unanimous decision. The victories catapulted Green to the no. 7 spot on the UFC’s official lightweight rankings (he should be no. 6), while Masvidal sits at no. 14.
Green has now won eight straight fights, including victories over Jacob Volkmann, James Krause, Pat Healy and Thomson, since making the move to the UFC from Strikeforce last year.
Masvidal also comes from the Strikeforce ranks, and has won four of his five bouts inside the Octagon. “Gamebred” holds UFC wins over Tim Means, Michael Chiesa, Pat Healy and Cruickshank. His lone loss in MMA’s premiere league came against Rustam Khabilov (currently ranked no. 13) last November.
With this latest addition, UFC 178 now includes:
- Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier
- for light heavyweight title
- Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier
- Bobby Green vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Dominick Cruz vs. Takeya Mizugaki
- Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero
- Amanda Nunes vs. Cat Zingano
- Brian Ebersole vs. John Howard
- Patrick Cote vs. Stephen Thompson
Stay close to www.prommanow.com as more fights are added to the UFC 178 card in the coming weeks.