Synchronicity is a funny thing. Last night I was watching Bobby Green put up a good fight on short notice against Dan Lauzon at “Affliction: Day of Reckoning” on AXStv. And today it was announced Green will step in for an injured Michael Johnson against Josh “The Punk” Thomson on July 26th at UFC on FOX 12 in San Jose, Calif.
Green’s appearance on that Affliction card in 2009 was the first I’d heard of “The King”, who held a record of 8-1 when he took that fight. Today Green is 22-5 and has won his last seven fights in a row. He is 3-0 in UFC competition, having dispatched Jacob Volkmann, James Krause, and most recently, Pat Healy.
Green was originally scheduled to fight Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night 47 in Maine in August, but opted instead to fill in against Thomson, who is currently ranked number three in the UFC’s 155-pound division. It would mean a big move up the rankings for the number 12 ranked Green if he could teach “The Punk” a lesson. It’s without a doubt the 27-year-old Inland Empire native’s highest profile fight to date.
Thomson (20-6, 1 NC) is a former Strikeforce lightweight champion who served notice to the UFC’s 155-pound division when he became the first person to knockout Nate Diaz at UFC on FOX 7 in April of last year. He’s fought once since then, losing a close split decision to Benson Henderson back in January (Thomson suffered a broken thumb in round one).
With Green vs. Thomson now on the card, UFC of FOX 12 now includes:
MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Matt Brown vs. Robbie Lawler
- Anthony Johnson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- Dennis Bermudez vs. Clay Guida
- Bobby Green vs. Josh Thomson
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)
- Daron Cruickshank vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Patrick Cummins vs. Kyle Kingsbury
- Tim Means vs. Hernani Perpetuo
- Mike De La Torre vs. Brian Ortega
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 4:15 p.m. ET)
- Akbarh Arreola vs. Tiago dos Santos e Silva
- Noad Lahat vs. Steven Siler
- Gilbert Burns vs. Andreas Stahl
- Juliana Carneiro Lima vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk