GLORY Sports International put together a DREAM 18 and GLORY 4 special 2012 New Year’s Eve MMA/kickboxing event Monday at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The event will air via tape delay in the U.S. this evening on CBS Sports Network, but for those who can’t watch or don’t mind the spoilers, we’ve got the results now.
Thirty-four-year-old former Shooto welterweight champ Tatsuay Kawajiri picked up his fifth straight victory with a unanimous decision win over UFC veteran Michihiro Omigawa. It’s three losses in a row now for the 37-year-old Omigawa, who has dropped five of his last six bouts — all by unanimous decision. It may be time for the Japanese Judo champion to start thinking about life after fighting.
In a rather bizarre ending, former MFC welterweight champion and UFC veteran Antonio McKee was defeated by Japanese superstar Shinya Aoki via second round submission. Although Aoki is known for his super-slick submission game, it was actually a punch in the second round that caused McKee to verbally tap out.
Also on the MMA portion of the card, the always dangerous Melvin Manhoef knocked out Denis Kang with a knee to the body in the first round. Bibiano Fernandes submitted Yoshiro Maeda via Triangle Choke in the first round. Hayato Sakurai won a unanimous decision over Phil Baroni, and women’s MMA star Marloes Coenen submitted Fiona Muxlow via first rond armbar.
A one-night, single-elimination 16-man heavyweight kickboxing tournament was held with a $400,000 first-place prize. With 16 of the top heavyweight kickboxers in the world facing off, in the end there could be only one.
The giant Semmy Schilt scored a knockout and two decision victories to advance to the finals where he faced off with Daniel Ghita. Ghita earned his place in the finals with a liver kick knockout, a TKO and a decision victory.
In the end it was Schilt left standing after landing a head kick in the first round that sent Ghita to the canvas. Ghita was able to get to his feet after several seconds, however, the referee deemed him unable to continue and Schilt was awarded the $400,000 victory!
Here are the complete results for DREAM 18 and GLORY 4′s 2012 NYE special:
DREAM 18 (MMA Rules)
- Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Michihiro Omigawa by Decision (Unanimous)
- Georgi Karakhanyan def. Hiroyuki Takaya by Decision (Split)
- Shinya Aoki def. Antonio McKee by Submission (Verbal due to punch) Rd 2
- Bibiano Fernandes def. Yoshiro Maeda by Submission (Triangle Choke) Rd 1
- Melvin Manhoef def. Denis Kang by Knockout (Knee to the body) Rd 1
- Hayato Sakurai def. Phil Baroni by Decision (Unanimous)
- Marloes Coenen def. Fiona Muxlow by Submission (Armbar) Rd 1
- Will Brooks def. Satoru Kitaoka by TKO (punches) Rd 2
GLORY 4 – Heavyweight Grand Slam Tournament (First 16):
- Semmy Schilt def. Brice Guidon by knockout (kick) Rd 2
- Rico Verhoeven def. Sergei Kharitonov by Decision (Unanimous)
- Gokhan Saki def. Raomoru by TKO (strikes) Rd 1
- Anderson “Braddock” Silva def. Igor Jurkovic by TKO (punch) Rd 1
- Remy Bonjasky def. Filip Verlinden by Decision (Unanimous)
- Jamal Ben Saddick def. Errol Zimmerman by Decision (Unanimous)
- Mourad Bouzidi def. Peter Aerts by TKO (hand injury) Rd 1
- Daniel Ghita def. Jhonata Diniz by Decision
- Semmy Schilt def. Rico Verhoeven by Decision (Unanimous)
- Gokhan Saki def. Anderson “Braddock” Silva by KO (punch) Rd 1
- Jamal Ben Saddick def. Remy Bonjasky by Decision (Unanimous)
- Daniel Ghita def. Mourad Bouzidi by TKO (arm injury) Rd 2
- Semmy Schilt def. Gokhan Saki by Decision (Unanimous)
- Daniel Ghita def. Jamal Ben Saddick by KO (Liver Kick) Rd 1
- Semmy Schilt def. Daniel Ghita by KI (Head Kick) Rd 1
- Robin van Roosmalen def. Yuichiro Nagashima by Decision (Unanimous)
- Jerome Le Banner def. Koichi Pettas by KO (punch) Rd 3
- Jason Wilnis def. Toshio Matsumoto by Decision
- Mutsuki Ebata def. San Che Kim by Decision