K-1, the professional kickboxing promotion known for assembling the world’s top strikers, held the U.S. leg of their 2012 World Grand Prix Saturday night at the L.A. Sports Arena in Los Angeles, Calif. Eight heavyweight (220 lbs.), along with eight K-1 MAX (154 lbs.) fighters, battled it out to qualify for the Final 16 card which will take place October 14 in Tokyo, Japan. There were four super fights and three undercard bouts also on the card.
In K-1 Heavyweight Grand Prix action former football player Xavier Vigney defeated “Kimbo Killer” and UFC veteran Seth Petruzelli via second round TKO. Legendary kickboxer Rick Roufus overcame Mighty Mo via split decision. Jarrell Miller, still undefeated, knocked out Jack May in the first round. And yet another undefeated fighter, Randy “Boom Boom” Blake defeated Dewey Cooper via unanimous decision.
In K-1 MAX action, Justin Greskiewicz defeated Bryce Krause via TKO in the third round. Joey Pagliuso knocked out Ben Yelle in the third round. Michael Manaquil won a unanimous decision over Scott Leffler. And Chaz Mulkey scored a second round TKO over UFC and WEC vet Kit Cope.
The next leg of the K-1 2012 World Grand Prix will take place October 14 in Tokyo, Japan. Then on December 8 the MAX Final will be held in Athens, Greece. Then to top it all off, the World Grand Prix Final will be held on December 26 in New York.
The complete fight card results for Saturday night’s K-1 U.S. Grand Prix in Los Angeles are as follows:
Heavyweight GP Results:
- Xavier Vigney def. Seth Petruzelli via KO (Knee) at 1:17 of Rd. 2
- Rick Roufus def. Mighty Mo via Split Decision
- Jarrell Miller def. Jack May via KO at 2:42 of Rd. 1
- Randy Blake def. Dewey Cooper via Unanimous Decision
Super Fights Results:
- Shuichi Wentz def. Romie Adanza via KO (Head Kick) at 0:23 of Rd. 1
- Kang En def. Travis Garlits via Unanimous Decision
- Gabriel Varga def. Lerdsila Chumpairtour via Unanimous Decision
- Jeremiah Metcalf def. Markhaile Wedderburn via KO (Knee) at 2:12 of Rd. 1
MAX Tourney Results:
- Justin Greskiewicz def. Bryce Krause via (T)KO at 1:22 of Rd. 3
- Joey Pagliuso def. Ben Yelle via (T)KO at 0:18 of Rd. 3
- Michael Mananquil def. Scotty Leffler via Unanimous Decision
- Chaz Mulkey def. Kit Cope via (T)KO at 2:16 of Rd. 2
Under Card Results:
- Mike Lemaire def. Glen Spencer, Jr. via Unanimous Decision
- Damien Early def. Jermaine Soto via KO at 1:14 of Rd. 3
- James Wilson def. Doug Sauer via KO at 2:32 of Rd. 1