All fighters weighed in without issue. The crowd was enormous. It looked like fight night. Everyone was anticipating the main event staredown and when Anderson Silva finished weighing in he walked up to Chael Sonnen and gave him a hard right shoulder shot to the jaw. UFC President Dana White and others on stage immediately separated the two fighters and held Silva back.
Sonnen did not retaliate or react to the shoulder strike, however, as Joe Rogan interviewed him Sonnen was visibly moving his jaw around and stretching it indicating he had taken a significant shot. Sonnen did his thing, “Champion vs. icon, myth vs. legend. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, the fake guy vs. the bad guy, and only on pay-per view.”
Silva responded in English as Rogan said it was the most emotional he had ever seen him about a fight and then asked him for his thoughts on facing Sonnen, “I don’t have nothing. I don’t respect Chael. Chael don’t respect nothing. Chael don’t respect UFC. Chael don’t respect my country. Tomorrow, I go to fight.”
The UFC 148 weigh-in results are as follows:
- Anderson Silva (184) vs. Chael Sonnen (185)
- Forrest Griffin (204) vs. Tito Ortiz (204)
- Patrick Cote (185) vs. Cung Le (185)
- Dong Hyun Kim (170) vs. Demian Maia (170)
- Chad Mendes (146) vs. Cody McKenzie (145)
- Mike Easton (135) vs. Ivan Menjivar (136)
- Fabricio Camoes (156) vs. Melvin Guillard (155)
- Khabib Nurmagomedov (155) vs. Gleison Tibau (155)
- Riki Fukuda (185) vs. Constantinos Philippou (186)
- John Alessio (156) vs. Shane Roller (155)
- Yoislandy Izquierdo (156) vs. Rafaello Oliveira (156)
Watch a replay of the UFC 148 weigh-ins on demand to see if you think Anderson Silva should be fined for striking Chael Sonnen. Watch the video, then let us know your thoughts. See more ProMMAnow.com coverage of UFC 148.