As previously reported, Glory Sports International has purchased Dutch kickboxing promotion It’s Showtime. Now It’s Showtime founder Simon Rutz has released a lengthy statement explaining his reasons for selling the promotion which was founded in 1989.
Rutz states there were various reasons for the sale, including a desire to see more of the top kickboxers under one banner, and it also puts Glory in position as the number one kickboxing promotion. Aside from that however, It’s Showtime’s unpleasant dealings with K-1 appears to have been a major deciding factor.
Rutz indicates their recent problems dealing with K-1:
“In February of 2012, we have made agreements with Mr. Mike Kim of K-1 to help him bringing the K-1 back to the top of the game, and we would get paid for this help. We also helped the K-1 to sign fighters and we have introduced them to a local promoter in Madrid in order to set up the K-1 event last May.
“Of all the daring plans Mr. Kim told us, nothing became reality. The fighters of the event last May still haven’t received their money. Once again, the fighters won’t get paid (only Badr Hari and Mirko Filipovic demanded to be paid in advance). The local promoter in Madrid disbursed money for the K-1 and even this company won’t get that money back after hundreds of emails. Therefore, the local promoter will take these matters to court.”
Rutz said K-1 did not live up to the financial agreements they had with It’s Showtime and therefore were in breach of contract. Rutz said they lost their faith in the new K-1 and they did not deliver what was promised.
According to Rutz, the right step for It’s Showtime was to combine forces with Glory. Rutz said he will work alongside Bert van der Ryd in the production of Glory events.
It is still undetermined if there will be only Glory events in the future or if there will also be events promoted under the It’s Showtime label. The event currently scheduled for July 21 in Tenerife, Spain, will still take place. For more information visit www.gloryworldseries.com.