The UFC on FOX 2 event has come and gone so now it’s time to put on our Joe Silva hat and play matchmaker with a few of the winners and losers. A few of the fighters already have fights lined up so we won’t go into detail on those, but let’s take a look and see what we can come up with
- Rashad Evans will now face Jon Jones at UFC 145 in Atlanta after defeating Phil Davis. That will be a huge fight.
- Phil Davis needs some time to find tune somethings as it’s clear he is still fairly green as a fighter. Not to mention he was coming off a long layoff and injury. A bout with Rich Franklin or Forrest Griffin make sense. He needs time to develop, but he can’t go and fight scrubs at this point either since going five rounds with the number two guy in the world.
- Chael Sonnen will rematch Anderson Silva this summer in Brazil for the middleweight title.
- Michael Bisping fought one of the best fights of his career in a losing effort(he definitely lost 29-28 imo). I think fight with Brian Stann(if he beats Alessio Sakara in his upcoming fight), or a fight with Rousimar Palhares makes sense.
- Chris Weidman fought a great fight on short notice against Demian Maia. He’s in a difficult spot in that he only has eight fights, and now will have to swim in the deep waters. A fight with Alan Belcher would be a good call here. Belcher certainly deserves to fight better competition.
- Demian Maia didn’t look good at all agaisnt Weidman. I think he has forgotten what has gotten him this far in his career and has become a one dimensional striker suffering from Jorge Gurgel syndrome. He doesn’t have a lot of options at this point and will now be reserved to gatekeeper status more than likely. The loser of the Yushin Okami/Tim Boetsch fight at UFC 144 fits the bill.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this, and feel free drop your list in the comments section.