(Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA): 2011 was a banner year for the Roufusport. Nominated for “Gym of the Year” by the World MMA Awards…opened up the Roufusport Fighter House…won “Top MMA Gym” from Versus.com…brought in Bellator Welterweight Champion Ben Askren…brought in 2008 BJJ World Champion Joao Zeferino as its new Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Head Coach…
In short, it was quite a year.
“I couldn’t be prouder of our fighters and staff,” says Duke Roufus. “They all did such a fantastic job this past year. I’m extremely excited about 2012, and seeing just how far we can go. It’s going to be a great ride.”
Looking ahead to 2012, Duke and his staff are focused on the opening of the new Roufusport facilities, and launching its successful “Fighter House” into greater heights. The new gym will have its grand opening soon, and Duke recently gave a sneak preview of the new facilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqvSVNq_mEw&feature=youtu.be
The “Roufusport Fighter House,” which spawned the career of top-ranked UFC featherweight title contender Erik Koch, gives up-and-coming fighters from across the country the chance to train with some of MMA’s best athletes, and receive instruction from some of the top trainers in the sport. It includes all Roufus Kickboxing, technique, and fighter training classes, and provides an opportunity for world class training without the cost of traveling across the world. Roufusport has so much to offer the MMA world, and those looking to get into it.
Closing out 2011, here’s a rundown of some of the Roufusport fighter highlights from 2011:
- Anthony “Showtime” Pettis put his full skill set on display in a win over Jeremy Stephens at UFC 136 in October.
- Ben “Funky” Askren downed both Nick Thompson and Jay Hieron in an undefeated 2011 campaign.
- Erik “New Breed” Koch also went undefeated in 2011, besting both Raphael Assuncao and Jonathan Brookins in UFC fights.
- Alan “The Talent” Belcher returned from a career-threatening eye injury with a victory over Jason MacDonald at UFC Fight Night 25 in September.
- Joe Cason made his Strikeforce debut.
- Sergio Pettis made his professional MMA debut in 2011, and went 2-0 with two head-kick knockouts.
2012 is looking even better. With a stable of fighters that stacks up against any other, the New Year is shaping up to be another year of explosive growth for Roufusport.
For more information on Roufusport, please visit http://roufusport.com/.