Thirty-year-old former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres (40-4) is back in the UFC. The BJJ black belt was released from the promotion earlier this month after UFC President Dana White was confronted on Canadian television about a certain Tweet Torres had made apparently joking about a “rape van”.
Having already recently dealt with two previous issues similar in nature from different fighters, White saw nothing funny about Torres’ comments and cut him from the organization. However, following Wednesday’s UFC 141 press conference in Las Vegas White confirmed Torres had taken redemptive measures and was back on the roster.
According to White, Torres showed remorse, and unprompted by him or the UFC, donated money and time to local rape crisis centers in Chicago and underwent sensitivity training. “It’s not about the mistake that you make, it’s how you handle yourself after you make that mistake,” said White. “He went and handled himself like a man and I respect that.”
Torres said he never knew how many fans and how much support he had until this happened. He said he did not have a back up plan, that the UFC was the end game and if he could not fight in the UFC he would just go back to running his gym and training fighters.
Torres made his first Tweet today since his release almost three weeks ago:
“Thanks to my family, friends, supporters, fans, @GlennAuthentic, @DanaWhite, & @LorenzoFertitta. I’m back.”
Torres has gone 2-1 since making the transition from the WEC to the UFC earlier this year. His most recent bout was a unanimous decision win over Nick Pace at UFC 139 in November.