FLETCHER, N.C. — Blackeye Promotions held a charity mixed martial arts event entitled “Breast Cancer Beatdown” Saturday night, Oct. 1, at the Western North Carolina Agricultural Center with a portion of the proceeds going to It Ain’t Chemo to benefit cancer research and those affected by the disease.
The card consisted of seven women’s bouts and nine men’s bouts and featured up-and-comer Barb Honchak taking on the much more experienced and highly-respected Strikeforce veteran Roxanne Modafferi in the main event.
Coming into the bout Honchak was on a three-fight win streak, while Modafferi had lost her last three. On paper though it seemed the younger Modafferi, who has been in the cage with most of the sport’s top fighters, had a decided advantage over Honchak, especially due to her experience.
Despite Modafferi’s preference of wanting the fight on the ground, Honchak was able to reverse a takedown in the third, move to mount, soften Modafferi up with punches until she gave up her back and sink in a rear-naked choke with just 3:34 left in the fight.
With the win Honchak improved her record to 5-1, while unfortunately for Modafferi, it is her fourth straight loss and her record drops to 15-9.
“Fight of the Night” honors went to “Little” Patricia Vidonic, who scored a second round rear-naked choke submission victory over “The Italian Princess” Chelsea Colarelli. Round one saw the women exchange a variety of kicks, punches, knees and elbow strikes before Vidonic took Colarelli down and laid on some ground and pound to take the round.
In round two Vidonic scored another takedown early on. The rest of the round consisted of Colarelli defending against Vidonic’s relentless submission attack until finally getting caught in “Little” Patricia’s rear-naked choke with less than a minute left in the round. Vidonic improves to 5-1, while Colarelli drops to 6-3.
“Breast Cancer Beatdown” aired live Saturday night on Go Fight Live (www.gfl.tv). Fans will be able to order the on-demand replay on the site within the next day or two.
“Blackeye Promotions 5: Breast Cancer Beatdown” results:
- Dustin Messer def. Doug Bishop by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 1 (1:31)
- Leonardo Perez def. Daniel Duge by KO (Punch) Rd 1 (2:47)
- Kodey Gulley def. Nathan McCall by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 2 (2:00)
- Jason Faglier Jr. def. Ryan Conn by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (3:00)
- Dudley Spence def. William Bratz by KO (Punches) Rd 1 (1:50)
- Ashley Greenway def. Danaea Makemson by Submission (Guillotine Choke) Rd 1 (1:09)
- Vincent Alberico def. Sky Rudloe by Technical Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke) Rd 1 (0:55)
- Tommy Jones def. Allen Greenway by TKO (Arm Injury) Rd 2 (0:41)
- Matthew Tran def. Jason Cortez by Submission (Triangle Choke) Rd 3 (3:43)
- Johnny Buck def. Joe Heink by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Sarah Schneider def. Ivana Coleman by Submission (Armbar) Rd 1 (4:30)
- Amy Davis def. Meghan Wright by TKO (Punches) Rd 1 (1:03)
- Ediane Gomes def. Leslie Smith by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Patricia Vidonic def. Chelsea Colarelli by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 2 (4:04)
- Anna Barone def. Charmaine Tweet by KO (Punches) Rd 1 (0:18)
- Barb Honchak def. Roxanne Modafferi by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 3 (1:46)
In the video below, watch as Veronica from Women’s MMA Round-up talks with Barb Honchak, Patricia Vidonic, Amy Davis, Sarah Schneider, Anna Barone and Leslie Smith after their fights.