Thursday, October 30, 2014
You are here: Home » MMA » Drew Fickett fired from MFC after DREAM 17 loss

Drew Fickett fired from MFC after DREAM 17 loss

Drew Fickett went 1-1 inside the MFC before being released. Photo courtesy of MFC

Canada’s premiere mixed martial arts organization, Maximum Fighting Championship, announced late Monday evening that lightweight Drew Fickett has been released from his contract with the company.

Fickett (41-15) suffered a first round TKO loss to Tatsuya Kawajiri at DREAM.17 in Japan over the weekend, making it his second knockout loss in a row. Brian Cobb handed Fickett a first round TKO at MFC 30 last month as well.

MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich said Fickett was given permission to fight in Japan but he and his management were also told that if he “lost badly again” he would be released.

Pavelich explained:

“I will not have guys coming and going from the MFC and thinking what they do in other organizations won’t have an effect on where they stand in the Maximum Fighting Championship. I have a lot of respect for Drew especially in the way he turned his life around and I wish him the best of luck in his future.”

Fickett was supposed to fight on the upcoming HDNet broadcasted MFC 31 card scheduled for Oct. 14 in a location yet to be determined.

  • edub

    I don’t think this is a smart move. Fickett has been an exciting fighter through his comeback, and would provide great competition to anybody in the MFC at LW. He took a shot against a routinely ranked top 15 figher, and got beat. Shouldn’t mean he loses his spot in a promotion that Pavelich himself describes as “second tier”.

Onnit Medium Light Roast Coffee
Scroll To Top