The UFC Live 4 event took place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and it was a great night of fights starting with the preliminary fights that aired on Facebook. There was a lot to take away from the event even though it was not a PPV. Let’s start with the main card broadcast that aired on Versus:
- Matt Mitrione was pretty impressive as he put away Christian Morecraft rather easily. The guy has really fluid striking for a heavyweight that hasn’t been training that long and very good power. Mitrione still needs to work on his takedown defense though as Morecraft was able to put him on his back. Mitrione will have to work on that as he faces stiffer competition, because better wrestlers with better top games could pose problems for him. Also, he probably needs to take his cardio up a couple of notches. I’d like to see him take on Cheick Kongo.
- Joe Rogan was questioning why John Howard was trying to take Matt Brown down during the broadcast. It was because Matt Brown has been submitted in like 80% of his losses and Howard is versed in submissions. However, I felt that Howard should have kept it standing or at least set up his takedown attempts better because he looked pretty tired in the second round and thereafter. All the energy he expended with failed takedown attempts cost him the fight. Good job by Matt Brown for winning a MUST win fight. Plus, he has newborn twins just like I do and has kids to feed!
- Rick Story’s momentum of beating Thaigo Alves less than a month ago just went up in smoke. Well, not really as Dana White was thankful that Story took the fight on short notice. Brenneman didn’t really do any damage to Story, but simply maintained top position. Just the epitome of a trap fight if there ever was one. Another instance of guys playing the guard game for too long and giving rounds away. Also, I must mention that Brenneman’s skillset is totally different from what Marquardt would have brought to the table so that’s a factor as well. A sidenote…I don’t think Story would have gotten the submission in the third round anyway, but the standup by referee Marc Matheny in that round was absurd when Story was going for the kimura/armbar.
- Cheick Kongo vs. Pat Barry was the craziest ending in MMA history. I’ve never seen anything like that. I would put money on it that Kongo was unconscious after Barry connected, but Barry woke him back up when he hit him again only to get cracked with a huge uppercut that put him away. I need Mitrione vs. Kongo next.
- Michael Johnson looked good in his win. He showed a lot of heart in absorbing early punishment from Edward Faaloloto. He seemed to improve his striking as well. Nice fight win in the UFC.
- Ricardo Lamas looked good in his win.
- Charlie Oliveira looked great against Nik Lentz until the illegal knee. I suppose that win will be turned into a no contest. However, I would watch Oliveira fight any day of the week. He’s exciting and I look forward to seeing him in the cage again. I’m sure the knee took a lot out of Lentz, but it looked like the writing was on the wall for him and that Oliveira was on his way to a win.
- Joe Stevenson will probably be cut from the UFC with four straight losses. Tough ending for the TUF 2 season winner.
- Tyson Griffin lived to fight another day in the UFC by edging Manny Gamburyan by decision.
Be sure to check for more UFC Live 4 recap and analysis later today!