Tachi Palace Fights 9 is now official, with the promotion announcing 13 fights for the event dubbed “Contenders” on May 6 in Lemoore, Calif., headlined by a bout between top flyweight Ian McCall (9-2) against Strikeforce Challengers veteran Dustin Ortiz (7-0).
UFC veterans Fabricio Camoes (11-5-1) and Efrain Escudero (15-2) will square off in a lightweight bout in the co-main event, while featherweight champ Isaac DeJesus (9-3) will defend his title against Russ Miura (9-1). Other bouts include ranked flyweights John Dodson (11-5) vs. Mamoru Yamaguchi (25-5-3) and UFC middleweight vet Gerald Harris (17-4) vs. Anthony Ruiz (25-15). The event will stream on Sherdog.com.
ProMMAnow.com first broke the news of the McCall vs. Ortiz match-up. McCall, a three-time WEC veteran, is coming off of a decision win over the previously top-ranked flyweight Jussier da Silva at Tachi Palace Fights 8. The promotion had looked to pit McCall against the newly-crowned Tachi Palace Fights champion Darrell Montague, but Montague was nursing some injuries from his TPF 8 win over Ulysses Gomez and could not get ready in time for the May 6 event.
“That’s the match we wanted for May, but we couldn’t make it happen,” Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino Entertainment Coordinator Jeremy Luchau said in a press release. “It shows the type of fighter that McCall is to stay on the card and fight, rather than hold out to fight Montague and we are very honored to have Ortiz fighting in our promotion.”
The full Tachi Palace Fights 9 card is below. Stay tuned to ProMMAnow.com for coverage on this event.
- 125: Ian McCall (9-2) vs. Dustin Ortiz (7-0)
- 155: Fabricio Camoes (11-5-1) vs. Efrain Escudero (15-2)
- 145: Isaac DeJesus (9-3) vs. Russ Miura (9-1)
- 125: Mamoru Yamaguchi (25-5-3) vs. John Dodson (11-5)
- 185: Gerald Harris (17-4) vs. Anthony Ruiz (25-15)
- 170: Jorge Lopez (8-1) vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf (8-7-1)
- 135: Cole Escovedo (17-6) vs. Tommy Vargas (7-1)
- 170: Alan Jouban (1-0) vs. Jamie Yager (3-2)
- 145: Art Arciniega (9-4) vs. Robert Peralta (13-3)
- 135: Cody Gibson (4-1) vs. Walel Watson (7-1)
- 145: Jesse Bowen (7-5) vs. Brad McDonald (5-1)
- 170: Mike Martinez (5-2) vs. James Chaney (3-0)
- 135: Alex Perez (0-0) vs. Jesus Castro (0-2)