Lauzon-Trites headline Dec. 2 at Twin River Event Center in RI
LINCOLN, R.I. (Nov. 16, 2010) – The UFC’s youngest fighter ever, Dan “The Upgrade” Lauzon (13-4-0), has angrily fired back at his Dec. 2nd opponent, Damien “The Omen” Trites (5-3-0), whose disparaging remarks last week fueled an ongoing feud between the bitter main-event rivals headlining the “Snow Brawl” professional Mixed Martial Arts show, presented by Jimmy Burchfield’s CES MMA at the Twin River Event Center in Lincoln, R.I.
Trites claimed the 22-year-old Lauzon disrespected him during a workout at Reality Self Defense, owned by Lauzon’s older brother, UFC lightweight contender Joe Lauzon (18-5-0), who fights George Sotorupoulos on UFC 123 (Nov. 20 at Auburn Hills, Mich.).
Although Lauzon disputes Trites’ explanation about the start of the feud, the East Bridgewater (MA) fighter did agree there’s no love between these two rivals. “We don’t like each other,” an irritated Lauzon said about Trites. “It all started when he pulled out of a fight against my teammate (Joe Proctor). He had an ankle injury, so, okay, he pulled out of the fight. Then he (Trites) goes on Facebook saying he heard reports that he was afraid to fight Proctor but would fight him in the street. How do you pull out of a fight with an injury and then say you’d fight in the street? I said he was supposedly hurt but still tried out for The Ultimate Fighter. That’s what really started this.
“I read that he said it started because he came to my brother’s gym to work out and I tried to take his head off. He’s going to find out December 2nd what it’s like for me to try and take his head off. Hey, it’s fighting, and if he can’t handle it, too bad. We were there training to fight. He went to Las Vegas for a while but 90 percent of the people who know him here don’t like him. He came to our gym one time and said that he wouldn’t come back? He was banned from our gym because he’s so arrogant.”
Lauzon has won nine of his last 11 fights, while Trites is riding a 4-fight win streak. Lauzon also claims Trites sent him threatening messages via Facebook while derisively referring to him as a “gangster.”
“He is nothing but a punk,” Lauzon said. “Come December 2nd I’m going to hit him with real good punches in his face to show him the gangster I am. This fight is going to sell itself. I plan on hurting him.”
Popular Providence lightweight Mike “The Beast” Campbell (8-3-0) takes on Detroit invader Tony “Lion Heart” Hervey (12-8-0) in the co-main event.
Rhode Island MMA pioneer Mat Santos (2-6-0) of East Greenwich will be seeking revenge against BJJ specialist Everilton “Sonca” Silva (3-3-0), of Marlborough, MA), winner of a two-round, split decision against Santos four years ago.
Also fighting on the undercard are Connecticut featherweight Jason Bennett (4-3-0) versus Tateki Matsuda (4-3-0), out of Boston by way of Tokyo, and Brockton (MA) lightweight Lionel Young (4-4-0) taking on Luiz Rodriguez (3-0-0) of Somerville (MA). Pawtucket welterweight Rigo Dominicci (4-10-0) is scheduled to fight on the card against an opponent to be determined.
All bouts feature three, five-minute rounds. Undercard fights will soon be announced. All fights and fighters are subject to change.
Tickets for “Snow Brawl,” priced at $25.00 (SRO), $50.00, $75.00 and $100.00 (VIP), are available to purchase by calling CES (401.724.2253/2254), going online at www.cesmma.com or www.twinriver.com, at Twin River’s Players Club booth at Twin River, or any TicketMaster location.
(Twin River has waived its 18+ rule for “Snow Brawl.” Anybody under the age of 18 must be accompanied at all times by an adult and they must enter through the West entrance.)