ST. PETERSBURG, Russia — Called “the hottest card produced in Europe this fall,” “M-1 Challenge XXI: Guram vs. Garner” took place Thursday, Oct. 28, at the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg.
In the main event, Ukranian fighter Guram Gugenishvili (10-0) kept his undefeated record alive and became the M-1 Challenge heavyweight champion by putting American Kenny Garner (5-3) to sleep with a guillotine choke just under a minute into the second round.
The promotion’s next event, M-1 Challenge XXII, will take place Dec. 10 and feature three title fights.
M-1 Challenge XXI results:
- Vusal Bairamov def. Joakhim Apie by TKO (Knees and Punches) Rd 1 (2:29)
- Denis Goltsov def. Marat Aliaskhabov by Submission (Straight Armbar) Rd 1 (4:56)
- Mikhail Zayats def. Matias Baric by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 3 (3:12)
- Daniel Weichel def. Yuri Ivlev by TKO (Doctor Stoppage) Rd 3 (2:34)
- Rashid Magomedov def. Igor Araujo by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Che Mills def. Magomed Shikshabekov by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 4 (5:00)
- Alexander Sarnavskiy def. Victor Kuku by KO (Punches) Rd 1 (0:13)
- Artiom Damkovsky def. Mairbek Taisumov by TKO (Retirement) Rd 3 (2:52)
- Guram Gugenishvili def. Kenny Garner by Technical Submission (Guillotine Choke) Rd 2 (0:52)
- Alexei Belyaev def. Alexei Nazarov by Submission (Guillotine Choke) Rd 2 (0:50)
- Dmitry Samoilov def. Gadzhimurad Omarov by TKO (Doctor Stoppage) Rd 3 (0:28)