SENTOSA, Singapore — Martial Combat 11 and 12 took place in the Compass Ballroom at the Resorts World Sentosa Convention Centre in Sentosa, Singapore on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 15-16, and aired live on ESPN STAR Sports. A report on the ESPN STAR website described what the final event of the year for Asia’s premiere MMA organization was like:
Tonight’s fights conclude six months of thrilling mixed martial arts action at the Resorts World Sentosa. Throughout the series, Asia’s biggest Mixed Martial Arts Championship has constantly added to its already impressive array of fighters, reinforcing its reputation as one of the most exciting fighting championships in Asia.
Said ESPN STAR Sports’ Victor Cui, Senior Director, Event Management: “This has been the most successful fight event held in Singapore. A big feat considering that we have held the event every month. We are very excited about the growing fan base for mixed martial arts and are looking to expand the event next year.”
Most of the names on the cards will probably be unfamiliar to the majority of MMA fans here in the U.S. except for Chris “Beast Boy” Barnett who has made a name for himself in the Florida-based XFC promotion. Barnett made his pro debut live on HDNet at XFC 8 in April 2009 by defeating MMA heavyweight veteran Johnathan Ivey via unanimous decision.
Following that fight, Barnett knocked out his next four opponents. Unfortunately for him however, Barnett lost a majority decision against fellow American and Rage in the Cage veteran Eric Prindle this weekend at Martial Combat 12.
Two other names U.S. fans may be familiar with are “Magical” Ray Elbe and Shannon “The Cannon” Ritch, who fought each other on Friday’s show. Elbe, a TUF 9 veteran, came into this match on a six fight win-streak.
Ritch had fought seven times already in 2010 before this bout and had lost his last six in a row. Now he can add one more to that losing streak as Elbe choked him unconscious with a triangle choke just 57 seconds into the bout.
For a complete detailed breakdown of each fight check out www.espnstar.com.
Martial Combat 12 results:
- Zorobabel Moreira Jr. def. Yun Seob Kwak Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 1 (1:42)
- Eric Prindle Chris Barnett def. Decision (Majority) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Ole Laursen def. Jian Kai Chee by TKO (Punches) Rd 1 (2:18)
- Claire Haigh def. Eileen Forrest by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 3 (2:06)
- Eduard Folayang def. Vuyisile Colossa by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Mitch Chilson def. Guo Bin Xue by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Rd 1 (1:26)
The day prior, on Friday, Oct. 15, Martial Combat 11 took place at the same location.
Martial Combat 11 results:
- Mei Xuan Zhang def. Reggie Amarante by Decision (Unanimous) Rd 3 (5:00)
- Arthur Cesar def. Mitch Wheeler by Submission (Kneebar) Rd 1 (0:36)
- Brian Choi def. Jin Gang Wang by Submission (Kimura) Rd 1 (1:57)
- Ray Elbe def. Shannon Ritch by Technical Submission (Triangle Choke) Rd 1 (0:57)
- Sun Jiao def. Ella Tang by TKO (Punches) Rd 3 (4:25)
- Leandro Thomas Issa def. Guo Quan Liu by Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke) Rd 1 (1:08)