LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Justin “The Viking” Wren (8-2) dominated heavyweight boxer turned MMA fighter Reggie Higgins (3-1) Saturday night in the “MMA Xplosion: Fight Night II” main event at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas. The judges scored it 30-26 in favor of Wren on all three cards, giving the TUF 10 alumnus the unanimous decision.
Wren complained he had some severe stomach pains and pain under his ribs on the right side going into the fight. Post-fight commission remarks state that Wren must have his ribs X-rayed and get doctor clearance before his next fight or no contest until Nov. 19.
The Las Vegas Sun has a good write-up on what happened in the fight as well as more details about Wren’s health issues. Apparently, even though he won the fight handily, it was evident he was not fighting at full capacity.
Also on the card was Wanderlei Silva protégé Jorge Lopez (7-1) who defeated Chidi Njokuani (2-2) via TKO. Njokuani is the younger brother of WEC fighter Anthony Njokuani.
“MMA Xplosion: Fight Night II results:”
- Justin Wren def. Reginal Higgins by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Jorge Lopez def. Chidi Godson Njokuani by TKO Rd 1 (4:15)
- Angelo Antuna def. Kyle Atkinson by submission (armbar) Rd 2 (4:13)
- Jason Trevino def. Odis Ruiz by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Danny Davis Jr. def. David Hulett by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jonathan “JJ” Mix def. Shawn Fitzsimmons by TKO Rd 1 (1:46)
- Gor Mnatsakanyan def. William Fisher by submission (rear-naked choke) Rd 1 (2:41)
- Michelle Gutierrez def. Amy Stacy by TKO Rd 1 (0:17)