Shane Carwin has turned the tables. Not only on the UFC’s heavyweight division, but now on MMA itself.
Carwin’s philosophy is that MMA fighters are always ranked by journalists, now the journalists will be ranked by the fighter.
Carwin says on his most recent blog post,
In MMA we are ranked by the journalist around us. This is my attempt to rank the journalists I have dealt with. These are my personal rankings and I look forward to updating them in the coming months. Admittedly, I have not and cannot remember all the journalists I have dealt with but these are the ones I read and respect their opinions.
He even invites the reader to submit their own journalist rankings. You can do that at www.shane-carwin.com.
It appears Carwin plans to update these rankings from month to month, so if you are not on the list now, maybe it is time to step your game up (note to self).
MMA Journalist (this is not including blog sites)
- 1) Jeremy Botter – Heavy.com
- 2) Kevin Iole – Yahoo MMA
- 3) Ariel Helwani – Fanhouse.com
- 4) Mike Chippetta – Fanhouse.com
- 5) Franklin Mcneil – ESPN.com
- 6) John Morgan – MMA Junkie
- 7) Dann Stupp – MMA Junkie
- 8) Jeff Cain – MMA Weekly
- 9) Ken Pisnia MMA Weekly
- 10) Fight Magazine (will get name)
Honorable Mentions: Loretta Hunt, Steven Marrocco, Ben Fowlkes
Top 10 MMA Bloggers
- 1) Zeus – MiddleEasy.com (love the design and creative content)
- 2) Tim Ngo -5thround.com
- 3) Kris Karloski – MMAFrenzy.com
- 4) Maggie Hendricks – CageWriter
- 5) Brian Oswald – BleacherReport
- 6) Jesse Holland – MMAMania.com
- 7) Turk – MMAGospel.com
- 8) Kid Nate – Bloddyelbow.com
- 9) Brian Leveick – MMAMadness.com
- 10) Fightlinker – Fightlinnker.com
Honorable mention The UGNews, MMAscraps, MMAopinion, Derek Bolander
- 1) April Pishnia – MMAWeekly
- 2) Esther Lin – Allelbows.com
- 3) Steve Ferdman – Middleeasy.com
- 4) Tracy Lee – Combatlifestyle
- 5) Flavio Scorsato – Flickr