Thursday, April 24, 2014
You are here: Home » Steve Cantwell » Dana White says Steve Cantwell may never fight again

Dana White says Steve Cantwell may never fight again

Dana White says Cantwell may never fight again.

At today’s UFC 108 pre-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White stated that Steve Cantwell’s (7-3) professional MMA fighting career may be over.

Cantwell, the former WEC light heavyweight champion, came to the UFC in 2008 when Zuffa merged the WEC’s welterweight, middleweight, and light heavyweight divisions into the UFC. Since then, he has gone 1-2 inside the Octagon, defeating Razak Al-Hasan, and losing to Luis Cane and Brian Stann.

Cantwell, who was a guest on ProMMA.info’s Cageside Beat Radio Show last week, was scheduled to fight Vladimir “The Janitor” Matyushenko in his return bout to the organization, this Saturday at “UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva” at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev. Speculation the bout may be in jeopardy began circulating on Tuesday. However, when ProMMA.info contacted Cantwell’s agent yesterday, they felt like the bout would still take place.

Evidently, that is not the case. When asked the status of the Cantwell vs. Matyushenko bout today, White said, “Just like 97 other fights in the past couple of months, that one has fell apart. Cantwell has some medical problems. He might not ever fight again.”

When asked if he could elaborate on the issue, White said he preferred if the information come directly from Cantwell. ProMMA.info (www.promma.info) will be sure to keep you updated on this developing story. Needless to say, it would be an absolute tragedy if the gifted 23-year-old Cantwell had his ability to compete taken away from him at such a young age.

Scroll To Top